Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Default AVID sell a CONTROL 24 compatible PT or HD11 for more money WE WILL PAY IT

AVID sell a CONTROL 24 compatible PT or HD11 for more money WE WILL PAY IT.

Think about it !
The Control 24 can work in 64bit . it just wont if it isn't written into the program.
So write it into the program add $500 onto the price of PT11 .
Think about it 10 years of HDX at a extra $500 a year . Thats $5000 of increased revenue . Best part is AVID doesn't really don't have to do anything.

$5000 basically PURE PROFIT !!!! for nothing !!!!
You wont even make that much from me if I bought a new C/24 mkIII if you make another one. A C/24 is or was $9999.99 you can't " PROFIT " even near $5000 from that.
So if you want money and we all think you do , how about a Control 24 specific PT11 version.

You could even do this with other products ICONS and the current C/24
But I wouldn't want to tell you how to run your business even if you write in $10,000 money grabs into mine!!!!
Your going to see alot of these from people next year
Sell us something ! make lots of money and all the investors and yourself will feel like this because you generated lots of extra $$$$$ for NOTHING
how else should we feel, really

Is it AVID or AHAB maybe you should read the book
Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Re: AVID sell a CONTROL 24 compatible PT or HD11 for more money WE WILL PAY IT

There comes a time when even the best of old hardware is no longer possible to use with new software. Not everything can be compatible with everything into the future. It's called obscelesence. The Control 24 may not be able to work in 64 bit - you don't know that it will. The only people that know that are those who either designed it or program for it. It's along the same lines as 002's and 003's.

Sometimes companies just have to cut support for old stuff for tech reasons is all I'm saying. Economics has nothing to do with it.

QAPLA!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM

Default Re: AVID sell a CONTROL 24 compatible PT or HD11 for more money WE WILL PAY IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
AVID sell a CONTROL 24 compatible PT or HD11 for more money WE WILL PAY IT.

You could even do this with other products ICONS and the current C/24
But I wouldn't want to tell you how to run your business even if you write in $10,000 money grabs into mine!!!!
Your going to see alot of these from people next year
Sell us something ! make lots of money and all the investors and yourself will feel like this because you generated lots of extra $$$$$ for NOTHING
how else should we feel, really

Is it AVID or AHAB maybe you should read the book
Icons and the C|24 (not command 24) are already 64 bit compatible and will work with pt 11 and beyond. People were already screaming their head off for the upgrade cost of pt 10, how do you think they would react if they had to pay 500$ more for something they don't use?

Wave-T.com
Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
People were already screaming their head off for the upgrade cost of pt 10, how do you think they would react if they had to pay 500$ more for something they don't use?
I agree
I thought I made it clear that possibly a specific (SEPARATE Control24 PT 11) for at a higher price to only those in need of legacy support.

"IN NO WAY WOULD I WANT EVERY PERSON TO HAVE TO PAY MORE. "

Its just a fair business compromise.
It does cost AVID money to write it in the program. So I thought maybe somebody like me would be willing to pay more for a program that has to be specifically written to work with old hardware.
IN TURN
They get more than the amount of profit than a control surface upgrade would cost us. And "WE" as in people who have Control 24 by paying a hefty service charge will still be able to enjoy the equipment they already own.

Generating far more income for AVID with very little investment
Allowing the people who need it to actually PAY FOR IT.

I understand it would cost AVID some money so it should cost us some money .

Like CPTK

HOW ABOUT a Legacy hardware tool kit
$2000 and receive 5 more years of support for certain legacy product.

THIS SHOULD ONLY EFFECT THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD USE IT

Sorry I should have been more clear on that. It shouldn't be your problem I cant afford a new Control surface.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I agree
I thought I made it clear that possibly a specific (SEPARATE Control24 PT 11) for at a higher price to only those in need of legacy support.

"IN NO WAY WOULD I WANT EVERY PERSON TO HAVE TO PAY MORE. "

Its just a fair business compromise.
It does cost AVID money to write it in the program. So I thought maybe somebody like me would be willing to pay more for a program that has to be specifically written to work with old hardware.
IN TURN
They get more than the amount of profit than a control surface upgrade would cost us. And "WE" as in people who have Control 24 by paying a hefty service charge will still be able to enjoy the equipment they already own.

Generating far more income for AVID with very little investment
Allowing the people who need it to actually PAY FOR IT.

I understand it would cost AVID some money so it should cost us some money .

Like CPTK

HOW ABOUT a Legacy hardware tool kit
$2000 and receive 5 more years of support for certain legacy product.

THIS SHOULD ONLY EFFECT THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD USE IT

Sorry I should have been more clear on that. It shouldn't be your problem I cant afford a new Control surface.
Almost no company will ever write software for or support a product that was end-of-lifed years ago. It's not Avid's fault people will buy such a product without knowing support has gone away or will go away in a future version. Granted there are times that people will buy such a product but they usually do so in the knowledge that they will receive no support from the original company. That's why you sometimes see third party support crop up.

Money isn't the only stumbling block for Avid writing drivers/support for an eol'ed piece of hardware in new software. As I said in my previous post, which you apparently refuse to take into account, there are usually technical reasons such a product will receive no support and drivers in new software. The Control 24 isn't the only piece of hardware that isn't going to be supported in PT11 (whenever that comes out). Think of all the blue interfaces that will receive no support in PT11. Think of all the old TDM cards that will no longer be supported in PT11. Technical reasons for that the same that it probably is for a Control 24. Sure people will complain about that but you don't see them going on and on and on about it. They accept it and move on.

Also remember that the phrase 'no support' from Avid doesn't always mean it won't work but that it may and if it does you're on your own with it and will receive no official help from Avid on it.

QAPLA!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Almost no company will ever write software for or support a product that was end-of-lifed years ago. It's not Avid's fault people will buy such a product without knowing support has gone away or will go away in a future version. Granted there are times that people will buy such a product but they usually do so in the knowledge that they will receive no support from the original company. That's why you sometimes see third party support crop up.

Money isn't the only stumbling block for Avid writing drivers/support for an eol'ed piece of hardware in new software. As I said in my previous post, which you apparently refuse to take into account, there are usually technical reasons such a product will receive no support and drivers in new software. The Control 24 isn't the only piece of hardware that isn't going to be supported in PT11 (whenever that comes out). Think of all the blue interfaces that will receive no support in PT11. Think of all the old TDM cards that will no longer be supported in PT11. Technical reasons for that the same that it probably is for a Control 24. Sure people will complain about that but you don't see them going on and on and on about it. They accept it and move on.

Also remember that the phrase 'no support' from Avid doesn't always mean it won't work but that it may and if it does you're on your own with it and will receive no official help from Avid on it.
I didnt have much of a PT or AVID understanding at all when I got it.
I never would have thought a $10,000 piece of equipment would be left behind like this. So I guess Im just gonna have to stay on HD10 until the C/24 becomes more affordable on the used market like my Control24 was when I got it. i think they are about to release a new C/24 or similar replacement. The prices have been dropping just like the TDM cards did before they were discontinued. So cross my fingers and maybe next OCT the price of a used C/24 will be $2000 like the Control24 is now .
Old 10-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I never would have thought a $10,000 piece of equipment would be left behind like this. So I guess Im just gonna have to stay on HD10 until the C/24 becomes more affordable on the used market like my Control24 was when I got it. i think they are about to release a new C/24 or similar replacement. The prices have been dropping just like the TDM cards did before they were discontinued. So cross my fingers and maybe next OCT the price of a used C/24 will be $2000 like the Control24 is now .
Actually the C|24 is really affordable if you trade in your Control 24

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDXC24-C24/

Okay maybe that's only in the beholders eyes that I would find this really affordable, and maybe it's not for you. But it's still quite a mark-off the new price.

I suspect that the problem with the control 24 not being able to work with pt 11 is actually hardware based, and nothing to do with the software itself. I don't think it's made to work with anything that is 64 bit, quite old tech there, launched in 2001. 64 bit environment were introduce a few years later for anything that was not supercomputers, so to the 99% of us. Consider that the control 24 might have been in R&D for maybe 4 years before that, then it was really not meant to be compatible with 64 bit hardware wise.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-14-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Why do you insist in buying what is obsolete hardware (or soon to be as nobody knows about the C24)? If Avid eol's the C24 before you buy it there's no reason TO buy it. Affordability has nothing to do with it, especially if you expect whatever you buy to be supported in future versions of software.

QAPLA!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Why do you insist in buying what is obsolete hardware (or soon to be as nobody knows about the C24)? If Avid eol's the C24 before you buy it there's no reason TO buy it. Affordability has nothing to do with it, especially if you expect whatever you buy to be supported in future versions of software.
Well we do know that the C|24 will work with PT 11 (an it's 64 bit format) so it should be safe for a while.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 PM

We have a main unit Pro Control and 2 fader packs and they work so so in Pro Tools 10.2 but as we move into the furure and we wont get much for this control in sweden or elsewhere for that matter I am asking you what to do when we move to 11? A d command or d control is quite expensive here so what would be a good alt to the procontrol 24 fader option? Read somewhere that ppl are planning to use 4-5 ipads, 1 for the edit window, 3 for mixer with 8 faders on each and 1 or 2 more to display plugins and VI's. Is this for real or is it a scifi thought? What main mac would be able to split up into 6 external screens and how would they be connected? I asked our local avid dealer about buying a new control surface and they are a bit sketchy and want to sell the most expensive systems saying c/24 will be obsolete soon and not to bother but we dont have 45-50' dollars to put into a controller, we use our studio to write songs and record vocals and sometimes a guitar and or bass so all else is VI's and a few ext synths. We never record more than 2 channels at a time and have used our pro control for the faders, nothing more.

Any tips and thoughts are super welcome here.

Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————