Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 AM

Default Every fork in the road brings new problems.

Well, here I am again. Just turned 71 years young. The war department let me buy a 32", wall mount, TV monitor for my studio. My vision is deteriorating and details on the small monitor were getting progressively harder to see. Anyway, enough of that and on to the business of this post. A while back, in another thread, some of you advised the purchase of a book by David Franz, "Producing in the home studio with Pro tools". I bought the book and have found it very informative and educational on several subjects that I didn't understand. The book is well worth the cost. However, (Here he goes again)!, The DVD that accompanies the book is not viewable when just inserted in the DVD tray of my pc and the books instructions tells you that. Instead you are instructed to copy the DVD to the hard drive you use for recording. In my case is a USB hard drive. I successfully copied the DVD to the drive but for some reason I don't understand, I can't access all of the files. The pdf stuff is readable and some of the other things that are script but when I attempt to view and listen to the Pro tools instructional segments, I see the video but there is no audio! These instructional videos were the main reasonI bought the book. Can anyone tell me why this is happening ? (and please don't request a SANDRA report. At least not yet.)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Every fork in the road brings new problems.

I'm not a Windows guy, so hopefully someone else will jump in, but the main reason the book tells you to put this stuff on your recording drive is mainly for the Protools sessions that come with it.

For the instructional videos, you should be fine copying them over to your main computer system drive. I would try that and see if that works better.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Every fork in the road brings new problems.

Cool that you bought the book.

For the videos, copy the video folder to your audio drive (as recommended in the DVD Read Me file). Also, open them via the Quicktime Player, not Media Player.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM

Audio mixer - check it and the master mute - also that u didn't disable onboard audio somehow
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.