Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Default Crackling and/or audible artifacts w/ Eleven Rack clean tones?

I'm really scratching my head here. I've been happily using my Eleven Rack for weeks now, but only recently started dialing in some really clean tones.

And there is this persistent crackling noise. It's intermittent, but reproduceable. Very similar to re-biasing noise when you twist a knob on certain stompboxes. I'm only hearing it with clean tones - maybe amp distortion masks it?

Single-note lines seem artifact-free. The noise really jumps out with arpeggiated clean lines, sustained chords. In particular, I'm working with Lux and AC amp models for cleans. Various cabs and mics.

I'm checked and re-checked my gain staging from input to all outputs, and at my FRFR monitor. I'm hearing this through headphones, so the FRFR monitor is not a suspect.

Here is a recording of the crackling noise. The crackling is especially apparent as the notes ring out.

It's a basic Vox patch:

AC Hi Boost amp > 2x12 AC Blue cab > Cond 87 mic, on-axis
Normal: 5.5
Brilliant: 2.8
Bass: 3.8
Treble: 6.3
Cut: 5.2
Amp Out: 0
Rig Out: -10

Here's another clip, different settings:

Lux Vibrato > 2x12 Black Duo > Cond 67, off-axis
Vol: 4.3
Treble: 6.5
Bass: 5
Vibrato: OFF
Output: 7
Rig Vol: -4

Guitar is a Soloway Swan, with a Barden Two-Tone bridge humbucker. 250k pots.

True-Z is set to Auto on both clips.

Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Crackling and/or audible artifacts w/ Eleven Rack clean tones?

I know that U R looking for a different answer, but mine works fine so far with no added noise at all...................

I'm running 11R straight into a Mac Notebook & using PT LE........FWIW.......

Good luck chasing this down.........
Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Udamann, for grins, set yours up using his settings and see what happens...

I'll have mine fired up tonight and will do the same thing... I encouraged Wildstar to post this here and see if the product support guys get similar results...
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
Udamann, for grins, set yours up using his settings and see what happens...

I'll have mine fired up tonight and will do the same thing... I encouraged Wildstar to post this here and see if the product support guys get similar results...
I will give this a try tonight, but maybe my ears are shot from all the loud guitar playing...........I didn't hear anything bad in the clip that was posted by Wildstar..............It sounded like an amp to me & the only "Crackling" sounded like amp distortion to me..........

Again, we can chalk that up to me & my ears.........I'm sure Wildstar is hearing something.........I'm just not here on my pc at work.......

I'll give it a listen thru headphones tonight...........
Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time to check this out. Feel like I'm chasing a ghost in the machine.

I am guessing that the crackles are not apparent in multimedia computer speakers. More of a studio monitor kind of thing. Though I have a buddy who has blasted his ears, and can't hear anything above 5k. Scary. He hears no artifacts in the clips through his monitors!
Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Here's another clip, different settings:

Lux Vibrato > 2x12 Black Duo > Cond 67, off-axis
Vol: 4.3
Treble: 6.5
Bass: 5
Vibrato: OFF
Output: 7
Rig Vol: -4

Guitar is a Soloway Swan, with a Barden Two-Tone bridge humbucker. 250k pots.

True-Z is set to Auto on both clips.

(also just added this clip to my original post)
Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 AM

I am just throwing another rock in the water here, have you checked it out with another instrument cable?... However, this sounds like the amp is being pushed to distortion, mayble lower you guitar volume and retry...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Try this using the headphone out into moniters. new mono track in pt select guitar in. play single notes and see if you get the crackling. I do. i get it on rig out as well. Just when i am using the eleven as the playback engine. it is fine standalone into my 002. This is a complete letdown for me. i was using the eleven last night to track bass using the guitar signal in pt and it makes noise. i have to switch back to my oo2 and then the transport on the 002 doesn't work. sorry if this is jumbled, i play guitar, and try not to spend time organizing all the problems my 900 bought me. i like the 11r but am still not a believer. i am pretty disappointed.
Zalman 9900 LED
Readeon HD 4650
6 tb storage
WIN 7 x64 Ult
PT9
002 Console, 11R, Profire 2626, Jamlab
MPT2(wtf?)
HP DV7-3188cl
i5
320g 7200rpm hd X2
Siig xpress 1394
6 gig ram
(disabled g105 and acpi
Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 PM

I had a similar thing when I forst opened mine. But the problem was fixed by bringing the main volume down to about 5.0.

FWIW I don't hear any cracking on the sound files above. To me, sounds like the amps your modeling which do have a bit of grit to them, even when they're most clean. Try this too - see if the crackle persists even w/ the amp and cab models off.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:50 PM

I don't hear anything that sound distorted/crackling except for a little amp/speaker break up. I'm listening on my studio monitors (JBL 4328's), not pc speakers. May I ask what you are using for monitors. Is it possible that something in your monitoring chain is being overdriven?

Not to change the subject, but why are you using 250K pots with humbuckers. Typical is 500k with a few maybe as low as 350K. 250K pots are usually used with single coil pick-ups.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .