Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 AM

Default drum miking ideas for >this< kit?

I know the basics of drum miking, so I don't need links to the basic techniques (if you have any good resources, I'd love to see, anyway!)

I need some ideas for drum miking techniques for my drummer's setup:

http://gallery.me.com/eric.rosenwald#100141/IMG_1077

The room is TERRIBLE, acoustically. Thankfully, she's an unbelievably incredible drummer, so EQ issues aren't a big deal in the long-run. It's essentially a rectangle -- about 30' by 20', without any real acoustic treatment. The closest thing to treatment we have is gear stacked into the corners of the room. Ha.

As far as mics, I have:

-- M-Audio Luna
-- M-Audio Solaris (same as Luna, except it has omni/cardioid/supercardioid / -10dB pad)
-- SM-57
-- SM-58

I'm using a Digi 002 so I only have 4 inputs... hence... my four best mics.

I don't have a dedicated kick mic, which definitely sucks... but with some creative mixing, I was able to get the 58 to sound good for the kick drum on one recording in particular. I only chose it because I thought it would be the most durable for an SPL as intense as the one coming from the kick. I know I definitely don't want to use one of the more delicate condensers on the kick.

Any ideas of which mics I should use in what positions? Any ideas of where they should be placed? Like I said, I know the basic principles, and I know that I need to follow my ears... But still, I thought I could get some good input here, based on the photo, the realities that come with having a boxy room, and the mics I have.

Thanks!

Eric