Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2022, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Received the avid email confirming my free upgrade to pro tools studio.

I have a nice fresh ‘Pro Tools Studio’ tab in my account which has replaced the previous ‘Pro Tools’ tab. Alas no pro tools 2022.4 download link….anywhere (checked every tab)…..
Found your account and clicked VIEW Software Download Links & Product Details for the product in my.avid.com/products - that shows Pro Tools 2022.4 Mac (DMG) 2.13 GB as the first link. Can you please check again?
Old 04-26-2022, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Protools Vanilla to Pro Tools Studio!

Perhaps this is a better thread to post this question, because it doesn't seem to be getting answered in the other one.

How do the new license tiers affect people using versions of Pro Tools prior to 2022.4?

I am asking, because on first glance 2022.4 is pretty unstable and slow on M1. I have rolled back to 2021.3.1 . I know you'll all ask, and yes I'm using a supported system and have done all the basic PT optimization stuff.

When my subscription renewal comes up in a couple of months and I still plan to use 2021.3.1, which license do I purchase in order to maintain the features I need. The most important one I need is Dolby Atmos.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
Not exactly. The new "studio" license offers the same voice count and surround capabilities as the old "ultimate". So if I want to run an old version, and have the same voice count and surround capabilities as I've always been used to, which license to I need?

This is where the crossover with the license tiers and the software itself gets a bit convoluted.
New Studio license goes with new software.
Old Ultimate license goes with old software.

The licenses are locked (some would say iLok'ed) to their versions. This happened when the software was compiled. It's not something that can be undone.
If you want to run the old ultimate software, you need the old/an ultimate license.

If you gave up the ultimate license and are on the studio license now only, you can only run the plain/vanilla old version. As those are analogous versions. What the features are per version doesn't matter only what license goes with what version.
Someone who subscribes to new Studio doesn't suddenly get to run old Ultimate.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
I have a current Pro Tools Standard (Edu license) and when I go to the tab in my account labeled simply Pro Tools - no Pro Tools downloader installers under Mac or Windows appear. That's a problem. Jeffro?
I'm having exactly this issue too, any help gratefully appreciated.

Guy

Last edited by jeffro; 04-26-2022 at 02:06 PM. Reason: https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2634304
Old 04-26-2022, 12:54 PM

“Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
I have a current Pro Tools Standard (Edu license) and when I go to the tab in my account labeled simply Pro Tools - no Pro Tools downloader installers under Mac or Windows appear. That's a problem. Jeffro?“

I found it under “Legacy Download Links.” That’s just funny. Legacy in 2 hours flat!

Last edited by jeffro; 04-26-2022 at 01:00 PM. Reason: https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2634269
Old 04-26-2022, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
Can anyone confirm Exponential Audio and Nugen (iLok licenced) plugins are now loading without error? I’m out on a shoot and won’t be able to check until Saturday, any assistance is appreciated!
Yes all exponential audio Work in 2022.4 :) (Mac Pro 2019 - 12 core macOs 12.3.1)
Old 04-26-2022, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Protools Vanilla to Pro Tools Studio!

I would assume the old versions will still work as they do. Just yesterday I got everything installed in my new Mac Studio Ultra. I'm not installing anything new for a while. I think you can and should re-up your subscription and stick with whatever version works best. I would imagine they'll iron out the bugs over time.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-26-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
“Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
I have a current Pro Tools Standard (Edu license) and when I go to the tab in my account labeled simply Pro Tools - no Pro Tools downloader installers under Mac or Windows appear. That's a problem. Jeffro?“

I found it under “Legacy Download Links.” That’s just funny. Legacy in 2 hours flat!
I see a Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual with a plan that expired in 2016 - that correctly links to legacy installers in the download center. You also have a Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual that's current and has the correct installers, but it's in the wrong section - reported to get this fixed!
Old 04-26-2022, 01:01 PM

Default Re: So if I want to downgrade what happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
In my case I have a home studio that I tinker in. It doesnt make me money just makes me happy and I treat it as my hobby. I was happy paying $99 a year for the subscription and was not thrilled when it jumped to 199. Now from what I read its going to be 399 unless my prior subscription is grandfathered in. Im a bit bummed that they again capped the tracks at 32 for the base level subscription since they had upped it to 64 last year I think. I certainly dont need atmos or hundreds of tracks. What happens if I decide to downgrade and how is that going to work? Clean install? Thanks in advance. PD
Maybe you are a good candidate for learning Logic Pro? It's pretty easy to learn and no subscription. My friend, who is a professor in Germany and not really using PT for making $ learned Logic quick and it works for him. I was going to have to pay like 1k to restart his PT after he missed a subscription deadline or something. Anyway, he seems to be doing great on it now. BTW.. He is not tech savvy at all, so if that is an indication.
I use Logic here from time to time for bring in sessions from a client, but for Atmos work PT is the best and required for my workflow.

Good luck!

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-26-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Allen View Post
Yes - Surround and advanced automation are now both in 'Studio'. This is a great deal for middle tier users, but rather squeezes anyone running smaller HD Native rigs into a horrible place.
Does this mean the gold Trim Fader, or Trim Automation mode will be in PT Studio?

How about Clip FX?