Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: LOUD noise emitted from DIGIDESIGN plugins ONLY

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done. I am so upset about my hearing.
I'm sorry to hear about your hearing. I didn't even think about that. I was using speakers and it was still pretty loud when it first happened, but I can only imagine what would have happened if i was wearing headphones. Digi and/or waves may have a lawsuit on their hands if this issue isn't addressed. (not by me though)

Unfortunately, I don't think enough people are either A. having the issue or B. voicing their problems.

I've done some testing and from what I can see it is specific to INTEL MacPro and having WAVES plugins installed on the system. When I take the waves plugins out of the folder, the problem goes away.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Justin
Old 10-15-2007, 09:57 PM

It happens on 10.4.7 as well with Digi plugs EQIII, and a big pop sound when opening certain sessions. Somehow it makes it through to D Verb, so it can have a nice tail on it's way out! Very annoying indeed. I also reported that when moving track arrangements in the show/hide window, I get a giant pop as well.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM

Aphex aural exciter is also a culprit
I hope they fix this soon
PT 7 trough 7.3.1
on os 10 4 7 to 10 4 10
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM

I honestly feel this is mostly an Intel MAc + PT 7 + Waves issue. If anyone else has any info to the contrary, please let me know. So far Digi doesn't seem to take any interest in this problem, but soon someone is going to lose their hearing or blow some speakers.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM

It happens on PPC-based systems as well.

The only times I’ve experienced this is when I receive mixing work created elsewhere, with sessions featuring Digidesign III-series plug-ins.

I have never encountered this problem on sessions featuring plugs by Waves exclusively, or in combination with other third-party developers.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Avid

Can anyone experiencing this problem possibly send us a session that exhibits the noise?

Please let me know as soon as possible and I'll get you the necessary information. If you have access to DigiDelivery or any other file sending service, you can send it to transfer [at] digidesign [dot] com and use the title of this thread as the subject.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM

I am experiencing a weird hi pitched whistle sound at random once I have bounced a file for a cd, 16bit stereo file.
It seems to be intermitant. I have listen to a file after bouncing through Pro Tools import audio feature. Not actually importing the file, but just listening to the file with the paly button. One time the file sounds find, and then another time the same file has a hi pitched squeal whistle tye tone. Almost a 1k test tone sound. This is really annoying and terrible for my clients to get a cd with this at random. Anybody else have an issue like this?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Can anyone experiencing this problem possibly send us a session that exhibits the noise?

Please let me know as soon as possible and I'll get you the necessary information. If you have access to DigiDelivery or any other file sending service, you can send it to transfer [at] digidesign [dot] com and use the title of this thread as the subject.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
It's not a session corruption issue that you are going to discover by having someone send you a session. This bug happens on PPC or Intel. To create the blast of noise, make a few audio tracks, add several EQ 3 7 band EQs to the tracks, add a bus send to 1 audio track, and instantiate a Dyn3 Expander/Gate on another track and set its sidechain input to the same bus. That is just one way I know that it commonly occurs. Do all of that while PT is playing. Also try instantiating and removing or activating/deactivating the gate plugin while PT is playing, or instantiating another plugin in front of the gate while PT is playing.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 AM

Do you have Guitar Rig 2 in your plug-in folder?

I had the same -0db white noise issue, and could point it to the presence of a Guitar Rig in the plug-in folder. Update on GR (2.2.1 I think) cured it for me. My setup during the issue was 10.4.8. / MacPro 2,66 / HD3 Accel / PT 7.3.1

-rake-
Old 12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Avid

We're working on a fix for this.

Is anyone here experiencing this with the TDM version of plug-ins? If so, please let us know ASAP and, ideally, let us know if you have any clearly reproducible steps for the TDM version.