Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2022, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Migrating VI's from old Mac Pro to Mac Studio Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
I think VSL support is awash in problems right now. I'm waiting until the iLok bugs are ironed out.

VEP 7.01.1120 is working fine for all but Kontakt. I think this is where I'm paying for a cold install. ????

Omnisphere, Ivory, Trillian, Keyscape all open fine in VEP / eLicense. They don't need Kontakt. Kontakt doesn't - or it won't translate Kontakt 5.1 data to Kontakt 6. I can recreate the Kontakt setup in 6, but all the outputs and inputs need to be reset and I'm not sure if old sessions will ever load the old instrument settings I had. Any ideas for a cure for this? Once I get it all working in 7.0.1120 I'll then try the iLok version.
My memory is a little hazy on this but something major was changed in Kontakt 6 which broke some compatibility with older versions. This is why K5 and K6 can coexist on the same system and 6 doesn’t overwrite 5. In other words, if a project has instances of Kontakt 5 they won’t load with Kontakt 6. You also need K5 installed which is still available.

So I’m wondering if your issue is not with VE Pro but lack of Kontakt 5!
Old 04-22-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
My memory is a little hazy on this but something major was changed in Kontakt 6 which broke some compatibility with older versions. This is why K5 and K6 can coexist on the same system and 6 doesn’t overwrite 5. In other words, if a project has instances of Kontakt 5 they won’t load with Kontakt 6. You also need K5 installed which is still available.

So I’m wondering if your issue is not with VE Pro but lack of Kontakt 5!
I HOPE SO!!! I'll see if I can find Kontakt 5 to install
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-22-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I HOPE SO!!! I'll see if I can find Kontakt 5 to install
Pretty sure you can download/install it with Native Access
Old 04-22-2022, 02:25 PM

Kontakt 5 (Player) can be found here:

https://support.native-instruments.c...rating-Systems

Kontakt 6 should be able to load anything created in K5.

FWIW, NI has finally stopped changing the name of the Kontakt plugin and it's simply called Kontakt. This was a drag because opening old sessions with the newer version would cause a missing-plugin error. That's why they allowed you to keep the current AND previous version(s) of K on your machine. But it was a workaround of sorts. Going forward, upgraded versions of Kontakt should continue to load without needing to hang onto older copies of the plugin.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post

FWIW, NI has finally stopped changing the name of the Kontakt plugin and it's simply called Kontakt. This was a drag because opening old sessions with the newer version would cause a missing-plugin error. That's why they allowed you to keep the current AND previous version(s) of K on your machine. But it was a workaround of sorts. Going forward, upgraded versions of Kontakt should continue to load without needing to hang onto older copies of the plugin.
I downloaded Kontakt 5 and everything was pretty remarkable. I'm happy for now. And the bogus Pro Tools System Usage Meter wasn't registering anything on the cores. The only thing registering was the "Mixer" meter (whatever that's measuring!) - which sometimes went to 50%. And this was a very heavy Spitfire, Omnisphere, Ivory, Trillian and... Kontakt - almost working. I'll fiddle with that a bit more tomorrow. It loaded fine on what is now my Backup Server machine - the old slave!!! But I've moved the Steam folder to the Mac Studio so no Omnisphere there. I don't now and never have had any love for Kontakt. But I'll figure it out tomorrow - at least enough to get some work done!
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-25-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Well I have it all working now in Kontakt 6. I realized there really is only ONE Kontakt instrument I can't live without - and a couple others I use occasionally. So I'm basically just reinstalling those plugins in Kontakt 6. I really can't imagine how it might be with a big orchestral Kontakt library. Maybe the Vienna stuff works better - but the libraries from small companies like Soniccouture are not really supported at all. Anyhow - I'll go through a few more old VEP projects and update the Kontakt fiasco and just move forward.
Everything else loads fine in VEP 1120. Once I catch my breath I'll attempt to repair the iLok VEP flat tire.
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-25-2022, 02:35 PM

Yes, it can be tough dealing with 3rd party libraries within the NI ecosystem. I feel as though I buy them and then they just sit there, never updated, and often clunky to use in Kontakt. I'm honestly surprised that Kontakt continues to look as it does. It's a chore dealing with the file system, and even navigating NI-approved instruments in the Libraries tab is so 2010. I hope they have something truly new in the works for Kontakt 7. Or, short of that, I hope 3rd parties continue to develop their own plugins to house their libraries. Spitfire's move away from Kontakt was a breath of fresh air.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, it can be tough dealing with 3rd party libraries within the NI ecosystem. I feel as though I buy them and then they just sit there, never updated, and often clunky to use in Kontakt. I'm honestly surprised that Kontakt continues to look as it does. It's a chore dealing with the file system, and even navigating NI-approved instruments in the Libraries tab is so 2010. I hope they have something truly new in the works for Kontakt 7. Or, short of that, I hope 3rd parties continue to develop their own plugins to house their libraries. Spitfire's move away from Kontakt was a breath of fresh air.
You are right on every part!
I love the Spitfire plugins so much. They are an incredibly savvy company.

I finally got it working. It's crazy clunky until you get back into their Germanic groove - which I did. I've gone through most of the recent VEP Projects that used Kontakt and updated it to K6. I basically erased the old Kontakt instances and replaced them with K6. Lucky, there's really only one library that I use a lot - and I use it a whole lot. For one stinking percussion sound! But it's kind of a major player in this current batch of songs so it had to be there.

Next up? iLok VEP! Wish me luck! I gotta get back to work!!!!

And thanks for all the guidance. I couldn't have done it without you and Marsdy. Avid should be paying guys like you.
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-25-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Next up? iLok VEP! Wish me luck! I gotta get back to work!!!!
I migrated very early and there were some issues but all have been worked out at this point so you *should* be ok. What sucks is that you have to download ALL libraries again. The eLicenser versions will not work. If you have disk space to keep both versions it will be safer. But, again, hopefully the previous versions won't be necessary and you can just toss them once DL'ing the iLok vers.

Quote:
Avid should be paying guys like you.
I agree!
Old 04-26-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I migrated very early and there were some issues but all have been worked out at this point so you *should* be ok. What sucks is that you have to download ALL libraries again. The eLicenser versions will not work. If you have disk space to keep both versions it will be safer. But, again, hopefully the previous versions won't be necessary and you can just toss them once DL'ing the iLok vers.

I agree!
Download all libraries as in Vienna libraries or everything? I think for me all I have and use from Vienna is VEP - although yesterday I enjoyed listening to some of Vienna's orchestral BBO stuff. Somehow it seems not quite as hi fi - or in your face - as Spitfire but I still liked it. Thanks Eric
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com