Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Drum aux for Aviom clipping

I am running an aux for a drum mix for Aviom. The problem is the the aux output is clipping and whatever I do to get it loud enough for them to be happy the output is clipping.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to raise the volume and keep it out of clip?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Drum aux for Aviom clipping

We have had the same issue. Both before moving to the Venue and before. We found that the people who were complaining the most would turn everything up in their personal mixers so when trying to get what they wanted, they couldn't get it. I usually tell people to turn all the channels down all the way and start with the problem channel up, and turn up the master. Then bring up the rest of the channels slowly (usually 4-5 dots) and usually this fixes the problem. The only other idea I would have (though I have not actually gone as far as to try this) is you could probably insert a compressor on the output so it sounds louder without actually raising your peak signal.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 AM

The main problem with the Aviom is that there is a 3 O'clock sweet spot on the master that is not mentioned anywhere. Set the master out to 3 O'clock and then reset the mix per burpeee's suggestion and you should be fine. Also, make sure that you're not clipping the Aviom transmitter input, cause that is fairly easy to do. You might want to have a personal mix class with the entire team, we found that not only were people mixing EVERYTHING at the same level, they weren't panning anything to create any type of space at all.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM

I frequently have problems with things not being loud enough in the Avioms for the people on stage. I got some good advice on this forum awhile ago that seems to work. Make sure that the master knob on the musicians Aviom is at somewhere around 3 o'clock. This may frustrate some of your musicians as they may have to re-build their mix, but now at least they have the most potential on the output side and can adjust each channel accordingly.
Also, when I use the direct outs off of a channel I have to turn up the output to +10 for the Avioms. Are you using the aux as an output or are you using the direct output of the aux? If you are using the direct output, you can turn it all the way to +12 that way. Otherwise, if it is just an output, I can see where you may have a problem.
Sacramento, CA
Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 AM

One other thing worth mentioning that rarely gets discussed as people move into IEM's is that ear canal seal is EVERYTHING! I play bass for our worship band, I have personal molds that fit over a pair of Future Sonics Atrio's and I know the minute I need new molds because the seal starts to slip. I loose all the low end in my mix (kick and bass disappear) and the rest of the mix gets weird. If the musicians are using headphones, make sure that the cups fully enclose the ear and that the seal is good. It'll be a lot easier to get them a decent mix with any seal issues dealt with.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
One other thing worth mentioning that rarely gets discussed as people move into IEM's is that ear canal seal is EVERYTHING! I play bass for our worship band, I have personal molds that fit over a pair of Future Sonics Atrio's and I know the minute I need new molds because the seal starts to slip. I loose all the low end in my mix (kick and bass disappear) and the rest of the mix gets weird. If the musicians are using headphones, make sure that the cups fully enclose the ear and that the seal is good. It'll be a lot easier to get them a decent mix with any seal issues dealt with.
I am most definitely picky about this as I also play bass and need those low notes!! I've used Sensaphonics 2xs's and Ambient for some years now. They are all custom impressions and I've had both replaced for various reasons over time.

Long story short - I found that most of the custom mold fittings I got at the sensaphonics booth at NAMM "included with purchase" were pathetic. It took me some time to understand why.

After spending way too much $ I eventually was referred to a great audiologist who really paid attention to my impressions and explained why the prior impressions did not provide the results I believed I should have.

The result was incredible. They sound "Like Genelec 1037's with the 1071 Sub." (I thought the Ambient IEM's sounded like crap for so long - but it was a terrible impression! Now they sound great)

I'd venture to say if you don't have a good impression the driver's don't matter cause you'll never hear what they really sound like.
--
So far as Aviom mixers, you've got folks who do not understand how to obtain the mix they need in the driver's seat. The advise in this thread is exactly what I've experienced. Those users who are teachable are much happier with the Avioms once they understand a few practical things about how to build their mix. After their learning curve they become addicted to the Avioms and love the concept.

For drummers it's more difficult. I am amazed at how loud some wish to monitor their sound. They would be better served driving their headphones from a Crown D50 because no headphone amp can produce what they want. More reasonably, they need a seat thumper. I like the Clark stuff a lot for that.

No matter what, all of this beats ringing ears from monitor wars!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPort View Post
More reasonably, they need a seat thumper. I like the Clark stuff a lot for that.!
+1! Excellent Point! We use a Butt Kicker, however, I think the Clark stuff is primo especially for under platform work w/either a drummer or a bass player.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
I think the Clark stuff is primo especially for under platform work w/either a drummer or a bass player.
Ha! I made a platform supported by auralex gramas to stand on for bass playing with the clark platinum driver. (about 2 feet x 4 feet) Fabulous. When I got IEM's the connectivity of the silicone in my ears caused crazy vertigo! So no more platform.