How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2021, 02:34 PM

Default "Save Copy In" full explanation

Hello,

I have been searching all over the internet for a full explanation of the "Save Copy In" feature and have not been able to find it. All I keep finding is MAKE SURE TO SELECT AUDIO FILES. But nobody goes into detail about all the other options.

Can someone please help? Here is what I do know and maybe someone can help fill in the blanks.

Format: to select the version of Pro Tools that you wish to save the project in

Audio File Type: WAV or AIFF, this is easy to research

Sample Rate: Another one that's easy to research

Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility: Choose this if you plan on crossing platforms

Limit Character Set: What is this?

Bit Depth: Easy to research

Interleaved: Easy to research

Fader Gain: What is this for?

Audio Files: If selected, this will copy clips into a new "Audio Files" folder. This is part of what makes this "Save Copy In" so helpful, because it will ensure that all audio is available in the new copy.

Convert to Specified format: What is this for? Will it convert the sample rate or the bit depth? Or neither?

Don't copy rendered elastic audio files: What is this for?

Main Playlist Only: If selected, you will not copy all playlists. Only the selected playlist will be copied. Playlists are easy to research.

Selected Tracks Only: Will only copy selected tracks (tracks that you manually highlighted)..I think. Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

Session Plug In Settings Folder: Did some research, still confused. Will my plugin parameters not copy over if I dont select this?

Root Plugin Settings Folder: Did some research, still confused. Seems like this is for sending saved presets from my root folder. Why would I want to send someone all of my pro tools plugin presets? I just want the plugin parameters to stay the same when I send the project. Any advice on this?

Movie / Video Files: This one seems obvious enough

Preserve Folder Hierarchy: Did some research, still not understanding.

Session Fade Settings Folder: What is this?

Root Fade Settings Folder: What is this?

If I am wrong anywhere, please correct me. I know its a lot but there's strength in numbers. 10 questions answered by 10 people is only 1 answer per person. Maybe we can get a solid chain of responses to clarify this for me and other noobs in the future.

Appreciate any help in advance. Thank you
Old 07-12-2021, 03:43 PM

Default Re: "Save Copy In" full explanation

I'd recommend checking the Ref Guide for these (if you haven't done so already?). A searchable PDF is included with PT or available online. If there's something missing or there's not enough depth please let us know.

e.g. From pg 175...

Limit Character Set
When saving a copy of a session or project to the current session or project format, you can choose to limit the character set to a single language by selecting the Limit Character Set option.
When saving a copy of a session or project to a lower session format, the Limit Character Set option is automatically selected. Select a language from the Limit Character Set pop-up menu.
To choose the language encoding when saving a copy of a session or project:
1 Choose File > Save Copy In.
2 Select the Limit Character Set option.
3 Choose the language you want to use from the Limit Character Set pop-up menu.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:16 PM

Thank you for your response, I did review the manual. Very helpful but I do have a few more questions.

Convert to Specified Format
According to the manual:
Sessions and projects can use mixed audio file
projects. If your original session or project has
mixed file projects, they are not converted to the
selected file project unless you specify that they be
converted by selecting the Convert to Specified
Format option

If I understand this correctly, then I should always check this box by default. I want all my files converted, whether they are mixed or not. Would you agree?

Don't Copy Rendered Elastic Audio Files
Manual:
When this option is selected, Elastic Audio Rendered files are not copied to the new session’s Rendered Files folder or project bundle.

Why would someone not want to copy their rendered elastic files? Am I missing something?

Limit Character Set, the manual did not clarify.

Should I change to Mac or Windows English depending on the OS? Since Pro Tools 7 and above are always cross compatible, I should just leave this unchecked?
Old 07-14-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobstudioguy View Post
Preserve Folder Hierarchy: Did some research, still not understanding.
This one can be very useful.

Your original session may reference audio from different locations rather than just the "Audio Files" folder next to your session file. Normally with this option unticked, all the audio for the Save Copy In will go into a new audio files folder next to your new session. But with this ticked, The master folder will contain a load of sub folders that reflect where the audio was on the original drives. Also the actual session file will be placed as such too. It's a good way of tracking where audio came from if files get lost down the line and also avoids any files getting renamed which have the same name - a process that happens automatically with it unticked. I don't always use it but often do.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:26 PM

Problem solved, thanks to all.