Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Audio interface for new imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by padg64 View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the replies - a few good options! I am tempted by the focusrite clarett (any experience with this?) and also the eleven rack for the guitar amp emulation capability.
There have been no experiences with the Claretts as those have not been out yet
but the Firewire/Thunderbolt Saffire interfaces from Focusrite did work very well with
Pro Tools 11/12 and the latest versions of Mac OS.
The Claretts (as they are new Thunderbolt interfaces) will continue like this for sure
and will add even higher quality as to the converters and micpres and are advertised
to be able to record with less than 1ms of latency which would be very cool and interesting,
particularly for recording guitars, bass and vocals.

Also if many people still use the 11R I personally would probably not go for it anymore
just because actually it has become kinda old piece of gear and there are incompatibility/
driver issues to be expected with future versions of Mac OS and Pro Tools, sooner or later.
The 11R for sure is a very good quality interface for guitarist anyway. Just not the most
current piece of gear anymore imo.
But thats only my personal thoughts of course. Finally its all up to you, what feels best to you.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:12 AM

Excellent info - thank you!
Old 06-22-2015, 08:17 AM

Ah if you need to buy a Pro Tools 12 license or upgrade just go get the Eleven Rack with the full Pro Tools license bundle. If you need more interface in future then buy one. But for a guitarist the package deal is too good to pass up. And for a typical home recording guitarist you are likely to find a significant increase in ease of recording, and better and more tone options than recording whatever live amps you use now, better than other amp guitar sim/processors near it's price, or just easier/faster to track with an Eleven Rack is you are using software amp sims (which you can/might still keep using).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-22-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ah if you need to buy a Pro Tools 12 license or upgrade just go get the Eleven Rack with the full Pro Tools license bundle. If you need more interface in future then buy one. But for a guitarist the package deal is too good to pass up. And for a typical home recording guitarist you are likely to find a significant increase in ease of recording, and better and more tone options than recording whatever live amps you use now, better than other amp guitar sim/processors near it's price, or just easier/faster to track with an Eleven Rack is you are using software amp sims (which you can/might still keep using).
+1 there for sure. The Eleven Rack is still a good amp sim and interface. The price for a new unit with PT12 is just ridiculous. One thing to know though... While you will get Pro Tools 12 (as a free upgrade from 11 IIRC), it does not include the Upgrade and Support Plan, that would be another $199 if you want it.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...icensing-FAQ#1

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padg64 View Post
Hello,

New to the forum - thank you in advance for attention to my question.
I have been happily running pro tools 8 with an box 2 pro and imac core 2 duo (2009) for many years. I mainly record guitar (acoustic and miced amp) and vocals, though will be using other virtual instruments now. Have just upgraded the computer to a new (ie 2015 release) imac with I7 and of course Yosemite. Did this in the awareness that I would need to also upgrade my audio interface and had planned to purchase a 3rd generation Mbox pro, however from researching I understand this is getting long in the tooth. I would like to future proof to a degree and am after a recommendation. Was considering the Eleven rack (though not sure how it is for vocals) or the avid/apogee quartet (getting pricey). Happy to consider non avid interfaces if they work well with pro tools, and understand this will involve a separate purchase of the pro tools software.

Any help appreciated!
As you already have LE8+Mbox 2 you can just use this upgrade which should include the Upgrade and Support Plan as well as even an iLok 2.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/daw-s...uestid=1964968

So you only will have to invest $199.-. If getting the 11R you will have to buy the Upgrade and Support Plan additionally for $199.- as mentioned by Benoni.
Btw if you have used a MBox 2 and you will not need more I/Os, why not getting an UAD Apollo Twin Solo/Twin with the Unison Preamps? Those are fantastic
for the price. Just as a suggestion.
Apollo Twin Solo
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...apollo&index=8
Apollo Twin Duo
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...apollo&index=2

They offer very good guitar amp sims to record with and offer really high audio quality. And their preamps are awesome for recording vocals too.
I also would recommend to doublecheck with Musicians Friend support via phone if the Upgrade and Support Plan is included in their offer before buying it.
Just to be sure. They advertise it like this, so it should be included actually.

You of course can go with the 11R but as you already have LE8+MBox 2 you will not need the PT12 software offer that comes with the 11R.
Anyway. Just do what feels best to you finally!
The best of success to you, VRW

Last edited by VRW; 06-23-2015 at 11:05 AM.