Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM

Default Upgraded to Core 2 Quad, performance TANKED

Hi,

I've just finished moving all my studio software onto a new computer as an upgrade. My old computer specs are in my signature. The new computer is:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.7 GHz
3 GB RAM
Win XP Pro SP3
System Hard Disk: 40GB Sold State Intel SATA
Recording Hard Disk: 500GB Western Digital MyBook Firewire

The rest is the same as the signature, except that I also upgraded to M-Powered 8.03cs1 while doing the move. Before I had reasonably good performance having also applied the Win XP optimizations listed on the Digidesign website. Well, after completing the move and also applying the same optimizations, I'm getting all kinds of constant LOUD static, tracks dropping out, and all around poor performance. Besides Windows and ProTools, there is almost nothing else installed on this computer since it is a clean install on a new solid state hard drive (for the system drive).

I don't understand what is happening especially since this new computer is technically so superior to the past one, but the performance is plain awful. Can someone give me some recommended settings to apply in the hardware engine tab or offer any other advice? This is really frustrating. I thought everything would be running so smoothly once I finished this.

Thanks for any help.

-Alex
RAM: 2 GB
Recording HD: External Western Digital MyBook 500GB Firewire
DAW: Pro Tools M-Powered Version 8.01cs1
M-Audio Devices & Driver Versions: Fast Track Ultra 8R, driver version 5.10.0.5098

My most recent project: Mariachi Static
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Upgraded to Core 2 Quad, performance TANKED

First post a sandra report then I would go into the workspace browser to change your system drive to a "transfer" drive even though you plan not to use it for playback or record anyways. I wonder if digi will smile or not on that solid state drive.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 AM

The problem is that have done multiple upgrades at the same time. 8.0.3 has produced these symptoms for many of us, even on the same system that ran 8.0.1 well. Go back to the most recent Clone of your system before PT and install 8.0.1 cs1 to test your new setup.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Yeah, I reinstalled back to 8.0.1cs1 and the horrible side artifacts are gone but the performance is still sluggish. Maybe 60/70ms of latency when monitoring a performance. Should I take the number of processors back to 2?

-Alex
M-Audio Devices & Driver Versions: Fast Track Ultra 8R, driver version 5.10.0.5098

Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilblom View Post
Yeah, I reinstalled back to 8.0.1cs1 and the horrible side artifacts are gone but the performance is still sluggish. Maybe 60/70ms of latency when monitoring a performance. Should I take the number of processors back to 2?

-Alex
Run CPUz and make sure your processor is running at its rated speed. you may need to disable Speedstep or lock the multiplier.

Your performance should double moving from dual to quad core.

While I have never had a issue upgrading Core 2 series processors it always a good idea to do a fresh Windows install whenever you change a major component like a board or processor.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-05-2010, 11:07 PM

OK, I'll run that program tomorrow when I'm back at my studio. I did a fresh install of Win XP Pro on the computer since it's a new hard disk too. How would I go about making the changes you listed?

-Alex