Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 AM

Exclamation WORKSPACE: Improvements & Suggestions Bible

Let me get straight to the point. I use the workspace a lot because of my massive sample library. Elastic time has made the workspace even more valuable but I have noticed some key (simple) features that could be added to make it even better, especially in terms of organization and production. Here are my ideas, feel free to add on. DIGI, FEEL FREE TO ADD THEM! I think we would all benefit.

__________________________________________________ ______________
1. Ability to color code files and folders.
People have endless gigs of folders, loops, sounds etc in their collections. I always find some that I really like, color coding would make it easier to find them. Simple as that.

2. OS X Column View navigation.
Having to click through folders is so old school it pains me. Column view lets you navigate back and forth with an incredible flow. Nothing else is better.

3. Favorites locations.
I've heard that when you buy an upgrade you have the ability to use Digibase or something like that. Don't quote me on that I just know with LE you can't have favorites.
Either way, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. EFFICIENCY IS NOT A LUXURY DIGIDESIGN, IT'S A NECESSITY! Please stop trying to make us upgrade for stupid reasons.

4. Edit Window Integration.
I don't see the value or benefit of having the workspace in a separate window. It is not ergonomic and it's annoying. How about a slide out window like the tracks and region panes. Dragging samples to tracks would be a million times easier and you could quickly close and open it with a shortcut.

5. More Preview Options For Loops!
I think elastic time integration in the workspace is the best thing since sliced bread. However, I find that when I audition loops to a session the start time is generally off, save for some lucky moments here and there. How about more start options, kinda like the trigger options stylus rmx offers. i.e. Trigger Mode: Next Beat, Trigger Mode: Next Bar, Trigger Mode: Immediate, etc.
It would have to be a smarter system then that off stylus's because even that system can at times be useless but it doesn't seem like rocket science so I know its possible.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Those are just some of the things that I've noticed since I started to think about it. I know you've thought of some that would make my life easier too, lets hear it!
I think us DUC users should take this very seriously and make as many suggestions as possible. I wouldn't say Digidesign overlooks the workspace but they don't look at it enough.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Re: WORKSPACE: Improvements & Suggestions Bible

all sound reasonable but I'd like to add:
when you select a file the selection highlight goes across all fields to the right

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-01-2008, 12:28 PM

This sounds like a job for...
Feature Request Form!

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heck View Post
1. Ability to color code files and folders.
How about a integrated DigiBase 'Keyword' Search Engine type.

Quote:
3. Favorites locations.
DigiBase Pro is part of the DV Toolkit 2 option where you can create aliases or shortcuts to your favorite media without duplicating. So maybe the reasons for purchasing toolkits aren't so stupid.

Quote:
4. Edit Window Integration.
Having Workspace as a floating window gives you the ability to search media without launching a session, it also gives you the ability to resize and position any where you so please, e.g., resize and position next to Track List - key command show and hide.

Quote:
5. More Preview Options For Loops!
Namely, Preview and Scrub SMF.

filosofem
Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 PM

I don't know if this is a Workspace-specific request, but support in the Workspace for CAF files is certainly overdue. PT supported the older AIF Apple Loops. It just needs to be updated to support the new CAF version. Currently, the Workspace doesn't recognize a CAF file as an audio file.

Yes...I did submit a Feature Request.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM

This is a pretty specific annoyance that I've mentioned to Digi before:

1. I start a workspace search.
2. Results start coming in from the search. I find a candidate file. Search is still running.
3. I drag the file into a track. But because the search hasn't finished. the "task" of importing the file into the session is paused until the search stops. I have to either a) wait for the search to stop, which can be a long time, or b) stop the search, which is annoying because there's no way to "resume" a search I've stopped - which means if I stop a search to listen to a file I've imported and then decide I don't like it and want to find a different file, I have to start the search all over again.

The best solution for this would be for a search to have the lowest priority in the tasks window. Any new task that is created (import a file, create a fade, whatever), would immediately take precedence and pause the search automatically. The search would resume once the task was completed. I'm guessing this wouldn't be too difficult to implement, because searches are already automatically paused when you preview a file in the search results.

A clunkier and less seamless solution would be to have a "pause/resume search" button.

On another topic: raise your hand if you actually know what the "Advanced search" checkbox does. Raise your hand if you actually use it!

cakes
Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Completely agree with all of these, especially the support of caf files.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post

Having Workspace as a floating window gives you the ability to search media without launching a session, it also gives you the ability to resize and position any where you so please, e.g., resize and position next to Track List - key command show and hide.

filosofem
Good point, have both as options!? Like the midi editor coming in PT 8, it can either be integrated or a separate window.