Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2008, 07:20 AM

Default Pro Tools, BFD, Hard Drives, Oh my!

I couldn't think of a better title lol.

Last week I had to do a complete reinstall of XP after some serious errors and now I am about to reinstall Pro Tools and BFD2 and I have a few questions on where to install the programs and their audio data.

I have one 300 GB IDE drive used as my C drive shared with a DVD drive on the same IDE cable and a 500 GB SATA drive that I bought yesterday. The best place to install the program data would be the current C drive, right? And the PT and BFD audio data should both be installed to the SATA drive?

But the BFD2 instruction manual says "We recommend using a dedicated drive, or any drive that is not used for audio tracks or other streaming libraries at the same time as BFD2." Does that mean that it would really be best to install the BFD and PT audio data on two separate drives? I plan on using BFD2 as a standalone program so I can export the dry tracks into Pro Tools. I think the message in the BFD manual only applies to using BFD as a plugin which is something I dont plan on doing much.

Am I right on all of this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools, BFD, Hard Drives, Oh my!

i think you have the right idea. if you are gonna be using bfd and pro tools together they need to be on seperate drives, at bare minimum partition c and put bfd on there, but still not the optimal way. if you are confident you will never use them together, i guess they will be cool on the same drive, but i would partition it first and use one for recording pro tools to and another for bfd. but be careful, bfd 2 you only get a limited number of installs, so dont wanna be trial and erroring to much.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10