Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Strange issue with button PLAY

I'm so happy that this ain't only me. To be honest I had a really strange feeling when first installing the update. I noticed that the whole screen turned "grayish" like a black and white screen. It happened frequently during the setup.

I also got the strange play/pause, record/pause error! Sometimes it's locked for like 10 minutes or more. Another thing is that it cuts parts in the beginning of the song and it also may cut of parts in the end. Very frustrating!

Another thing is that every time I start up pro tools a setup file appears next to the pro tools icon. When I'm clicking on that it looks just like a finder window. Strange.

I've tried both clean install of lion and pro tools + upgrade from an already installed pro tools 9.0.3 version.

I am using a 8 core Mac pro 8 gb with lion 10.7.1 and profire 2626/eleven rack.
I have also tried the same thing with 10.7.0
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

(still waiting for something better than 9.0.5 Beta)
Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 PM

I've had this issue quite a lot lately. This afternoon I had someone over tracking some guitars and vocals and it happened a few times. More worrying I had 2 'Pro Tools has quit unexpectedly" errors. I'm not too worried, I know it's Beta and I can go back to my Snow Leopard version if I need to.

Anyway I restarted the Mac and did about an hour of tracking completely error-free and I've just finished about 2.5 hrs of editing/mixing without problems too. but

Paul
500GB G-Drive Mini (FW audio drive)
Mac OS X 10.7.3 (Lion)
Pro Tools 10.0.1
Mbox 2 Pro (connected by FW)
Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrgmusic View Post
I've had this issue quite a lot lately. This afternoon I had someone over tracking some guitars and vocals and it happened a few times. More worrying I had 2 'Pro Tools has quit unexpectedly" errors. I'm not too worried, I know it's Beta and I can go back to my Snow Leopard version if I need to.

Anyway I restarted the Mac and did about an hour of tracking completely error-free and I've just finished about 2.5 hrs of editing/mixing without problems too. but

Paul
Paul - if you know when Pro Tools 'unexpectedly quit' can you send me your AvidLogFiles folder and point out the log(s) where that occurred? I'd like to take a look and see if I can determine what may be going wrong.

My email - vi [at] digidesign [dot] com. Please include a link to this thread in the subject or body of the message.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:40 PM

the PLAY/PAUSE/STOP issue has been occurring also when using the plug-in Addictive Drums by XLN Audio. Anyone else use this plug-in?

Though I get the play/pause thing when not using it too. Totally cripples me. I have to change the buffer engine each time it happens. That usually fixes the issue for 15 minutes or so before it happens again. This also combined with the "increase buffer engine h/w/" error, even when I'm only using 2-3 plug-ins at any given time.

-Anack

PT 9.0.5
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Today I've been mixed and mastered some stuff. I guess that the pause error encountered every 3-10 minute. I found a little fix for it. Every time it happens just go into playback engine and switch the buffer size to any other without pushing done change back to what you already had and hit done. This worked for me.

Remi
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM

@DigiTechSupt

You have mail. In fact you have 2 as I forgot to attach the logfiles to the first
500GB G-Drive Mini (FW audio drive)
Mac OS X 10.7.3 (Lion)
Pro Tools 10.0.1
Mbox 2 Pro (connected by FW)
Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 AM

Hi guys.

Just wanted to chime in that I'm also suffering from this issue in Lion / 9.05. Got it on a separate boot, no such issue in Snow Leopard / 9.03

My system ( Mac Pro / ProFire Lightbridge clocked to Apogee Rosetta 800 ) refuses to play intermittently every few minutes. Changing the buffer size / hardware clock solves it for a few minutes.

Additionally if I boot into lion with the Pro-Fire light bridge on (latest drivers) it hangs and gives me the the apple screen of death needing a hard power down.

The only other bug I've noticed is Pro Tools gets confused sometimes if you flick between desktops using mission control.

Lion specific features / versions / resume etc don't seem to be implemented yet.

The play / stop issue is a showstopper, but other than that for a beta it's in pretty good shape!

Hope there's a CS fix for this soon!

Jason
www.stakeoutstudios.com
Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 AM

Confirming here also, tried everything I could possibly think of with no luck.

Happens so often PT9 is completely useless for me.

Isn't this is an old bug, how did it re-appear?!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM

Hi guys! I don't want to be a pain in the a.. or something but from what I've learned from reading a lot of post on different forums it seems to me that the biggest overall issue with 9.0.5 and lion is this pause thingy. I have also read that this is an old bug. Can lion really be that different from snow leopard system wise? I mean that if this problem was solved on the first version of Pro Tools 9 shouldn't this be a quick fix? I am a engineer in music not programming so I can't really speak for it though. Im just saying.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios View Post
Hi guys.
Additionally if I boot into lion with the Pro-Fire light bridge on (latest drivers) it hangs and gives me the the apple screen of death needing a hard power down.
www.stakeoutstudios.com
If you have the latest drivers like you say you do, try re-installing them after removing of course. The only way Ive been able to use my profire 2626 is making sure it's connected and on before booting. I receive that death screen if I cycle, or turn on my profire while the computer is already on. Good luck!
-3.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon, 2x2x2x2 OWC DDR3 RAM
-Pro tools 9.05(Beta)
-Snow Leopard Partition with 9.05
-2 1 TB 7,200 RPM Drives
-OWC OnTheGo 500 GB recording drive

Macbook Pro
-10.6.8 OS X Snow Leopard
-2.8GHz Intel Core 2 duo, 2x2 DD33 RAM
-Pro Tools 9.05

Outboard
DBX 160a Compressor> Presonus ADL 600> M Audio Profire 2626 (hopefully soon to be BLA modded)> Presonus Central Station> SurgeX SX1115-RT Power Conditioner