Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Elastic Audio on Guitars?

I was wondering how many of you do this. It seems if I don't do this, and I have other guitar tracks that play the same riff at a point during the song, they don't sound quite right. I've been playing the guitar for about 9 years now, and am on time pretty well.

Is there something I'm missing? Or do many people use EA on guitar tracks to?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio on Guitars?

I use it if I hear a spot where 2(or more) guitars don't lock well. With EA, your safest route is to duplicate the track and EA the dupe(sometimes EA causes artifacts). Choose the Polyphonic setting. I use it on my bass parts too(Monophonic setting) to lock it to the bass drum. Also, BGV's can be tightened up(like when a word ends in "T" or "S" and someone is off time a tad)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM

If you want it to be tighter, but not so tight that it's perfect, you could also do things manually, looking at the waveforms to see what's really off, and what's only a tiny bit off.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM

albee1952:

Thanks, so I am not the only one that does this :)

nst7:

What do you mean by "manually"?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:41 PM

I've used EA on guitars a bunch. I'm usually just doing small tweaks on individual notes/hits. A good example was the big ending hit on a song that the guitarist had five tracks going. He was really good at doubling himself but the last hit was after a bit of "free time" wailing so it was hard to catch it right on. I just enabled EA on the tracks and manually pulled the notes into position.

I have experimented with extracting a groove template from one guitar line and using that to "quantinize" a second guitar to it. I did it in small chunks and it seemed to work OK, but that was a while ago and wasn't anything but an experiment. (I'm not big on militantly tight doubling anyway but I might try it again if I'm doing doubling on some Metal stuff)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcphr3ak View Post
albee1952:

Thanks, so I am not the only one that does this :)

nst7:

What do you mean by "manually"?
He means setting your track to Warp view, use your grabber, and "manually" position the note.