Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Mouse or Trackball? ---Vote now!

Quote:
Unless you HAVE the Kensington trackball... you wouldn't know the software it comes with. You can set the acceleration of your cursor. (Looks like the Dyn III compressor chart) When dragging quickly, yes, you can drag from one window to the other in a split second. But, you can set it so when you're dragging really slowly (pencil drawing), it can go VERY slow and very precise. I have much more accuracy with the trackball, even with Photoshop applications. I'm still sticking with trackball over mouse... And like someone said earlier, you don't notice a difference when going back to a mouse, it IS like being bilingual. (you just have to use key strokes to get to different tools instead of the nifty buttons)

-Ryan
Ryan- That's great... the Dyn compressor chart curve!

And, yes, when 'drawing', using a mouse I find that it is limited in the 'work area' to draw with. Photoshop is off-topic, but I totally agree with THAT comment, too.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

was wondering if a tablet or touchscreen might be in my future (if that would help ).

-Len
Get a trackball! It's much better because it only uses fingers or thumb rather than the arm.
[sidebar]Switching to Tablet/Expert Mouse got rid of most pain in my arms, wrists and shoulders. Mine was exacerbated by a slipped disc, but this recent study in Denmark proved very interesting in regards to weight training and posture. The more good muscle you have, the better you can do all things, even moving a mouse!

Reuters Article: Weight Training Aids Chronic Pain

[/sidebar]

Now back to the topic at hand...

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12.1.138 | Mac Studio M1 Max (64 GB) | Ventura 13.6.3 | Clarett+ 2Pre

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD6 PCIx | Mac Pro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Magma PE6R4-I | 192 i/o |

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD3 PCIe | MacPro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Apogee Rosetta 200 | C|24

Old 04-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks!

All good advice. Along with that I really shoud go back to a control surface too so I can get away from using a mouse for so many PT / plug-in tweaks (and a big steaming hot tub ).

-Len
Old 04-11-2008, 08:36 AM

wonder when/if this one will come out eventually:

http://www.futuremouse.com/?q=slider

nothing really for studio use, but for the ones "on the run" having a "mobile studio" and don't have IBM's red pin, this might be a nice treat.

J.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:15 PM

I'm sorry but my MX Revolution is a beast!

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-12-2008, 04:07 AM

Oh.. I forgot yo mention that USB overdrive is MUST!!!!!

I cant believe any goes without it.

It can control ANY usb device.
Thats how I program the 6 button mice. That and Quickeys. ( however Quickeyes cant be brought in to guest rigs so easy...so..)
I bring USB overdrive to every session I do. IT takes about 20 seconds to install, and I have a pre-set parameters ready to go.

Mouseworks and all the other apps dont half half the power that USB overdrive has.. Its shareware . Check it out.
YOu can control speed, assigments, macros, Accelration, the wierd crappy slow down thing the NEw Mac os does, anything... its a must.

Post production eh... Yeah I guess Trackballs will do for that sort of work.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 PM

Jason Goldstein once told me that every major mix engineer that he knows uses the Kensington Expert Mouse Pro. That must be worth something...

Adam Miele
PulseMusicny.com
(212) 358-7900
[email protected]
[email protected]