Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2013, 01:51 PM

Default PT11 restart

Why does it require a restart in PT11 once everything is loaded when PT11 says the control panel has detected a change and forces you to close your session and reopen.

It seems elementary for this kind of nonsense. I am a new user to PT as I bought an ER recently and received PT 10/11 with it. I am used to Sonar but am trying to fall in love with PT.

Annoying and surely PT can make adjustments on the fly, after all it is the industry standard for audio recording isn't it?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Re: PT11 restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburch88 View Post
Why does it require a restart in PT11 once everything is loaded when PT11 says the control panel has detected a change and forces you to close your session and reopen.

It seems elementary for this kind of nonsense. I am a new user to PT as I bought an ER recently and received PT 10/11 with it. I am used to Sonar but am trying to fall in love with PT.

Annoying and surely PT can make adjustments on the fly, after all it is the industry standard for audio recording isn't it?
PT does need to restart when changing audio engines or delay compensation settings.

If this is a problem, it's back to Sonar I suppose.

Enjoy.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Thanks, but I already had that much figured out. I actually was anticipating that someone knew a work-around or could help me identify an error that I was contributing to the issue.

Oh, and I don't have a problem using Sonar but am happy to be an avid PT11 trainee. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM

No feathers ruffled here

If I were in your shoes I would reinstall Pro Tools, restart the computer after trashing preferences and everthing and see if that helps. Inhave never seen your issue here before but worth a try first

Best of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but I already had that much figured out. I actually was anticipating that someone knew a work-around or could help me identify an error that I was contributing to the issue.

Oh, and I don't have a problem using Sonar but am happy to be an avid PT11 trainee. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.
Feathers are perfectly in place!!

It seemed to me that you were asking for a work around for normal PT behavior. Is that not the case? Your post didn't make that clear to me, sorry.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM

That kind of prompt indicates that your sound card is in use by another application, preventing PT from telling the driver to switch sample rates.

If you're on PC, set your default Windows playback device to something else.

EDIT: Oh, you're changing the sample rate manually with a session open? Yeah, it'll make you reopen.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Thank you, I will do a bit more investigating before I do a re-install. It is annoying but doesn't seem to affect anything once I restart. My interface is a focusrite LS56 firewire. I always turn on the LS56 and Eleven Rack prior to booting my PC AudioLabs computer. I read where other users are seeing both the ER and their interface listed in playback engine but I only see the LS56 so I go to i/o and set them to default which allows me to see all i/o for both units.

PT11 seems a little glitchy regarding that part but it works so far. It may be that the first interface it sees it locks on to. Like I said I'm a rookie but am very interested in PT11 as well as the ER.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
It may be that the first interface it sees it locks on to. Like I said I'm a rookie but am very interested in PT11 as well as the ER.
If your drivers are installed correctly and the computer recognizes the Eleven Rack, then you should be given the option to choose it in Setup> Playback Engine.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Yes I agree. I have booted PC without the LS56 and the ER is the only option in playback engine but when I boot my PC with both LS56 and ER only the LS56 is the option in playback engine. I am sure all drivers are up to date.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Could a faulty USB cable on the ER cause these issues?