Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2024, 11:07 AM

Default Lots of Pace Errors Today 4.10.24, anyone else ?

so me and my colleague have gotten quite a few of those Pace errors , where it closes your session due to "calling hone" to your iLok constantly,

anyone else experiencing this today ??
i'm on PT Studio 2024.3
Old 04-10-2024, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Lots of Pace Errors Today 4.10.24, anyone else ?

I saw on another forum that their servers were down for a bit? You can check the status using this link:

https://status.ilok.com/
Old 04-10-2024, 11:18 AM

thanks James,

if only we could activate our actual computer HD with the Ilok license right?
this would be a non-issue,
i find it very disruptive to my workflow, and annoying
Old 04-10-2024, 01:36 PM

Your not using a key?
Old 04-10-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Your not using a key?
no, and have no desire to, as i travel alot with laptop,
and switch back and forth, laptop-desktop
don't want to forget key, lose key (and licenses) or break my USB ports,

and these errors do happen with key too, as my colleague uses ilok key and has issues as well
Old 04-10-2024, 02:19 PM

Any issues with iLok keys are way less significant than cloud. Ilok cloud is well known to be unreliable at times, it's your decision to use it.

Maybe the largest issue with iLok and reliability, but still low, is folks with iLok ZDT forgetting to go online ~monthly so their iLok can be seen by iLok's servers.

I expect machine licensing is just unlikely to ever happen for Avid mainstream revenue products. And if iLok dongle licenses have reliability issues then machine licensing is likely to have the same issues.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:10 PM

All I know is that I do not have any licensing issues with any other DAW except ProTools and I also use Logic, Studio One, Ableton Live and Cubase , so someone is doing something right
Old 04-10-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Any issues with iLok keys are way less significant than cloud. Ilok cloud is well known to be unreliable at times, it's your decision to use it.

Maybe the largest issue with iLok and reliability, but still low, is folks with iLok ZDT forgetting to go online ~monthly so their iLok can be seen by iLok's servers.

I expect machine licensing is just unlikely to ever happen for Avid mainstream revenue products. And if iLok dongle licenses have reliability issues then machine licensing is likely to have the same issues.
Especially with the iLok 3's. They are pretty solid. But traveling with them, I can see the concern.
But you could always upload them to the cloud, and download to local iLok when at destination.
Almost every plugin
Old 04-10-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Especially with the iLok 3's. They are pretty solid. But traveling with them, I can see the concern.
But you could always upload them to the cloud, and download to local iLok when at destination.
Only if you can get an Internet connection

Yes it's an issue. I am not defending iLok, I don't like the company and especially anti-consumer things they have done in the past like bulk license revocations. But they are the poison we have. And the choices we have today are iLok cloud and iLok dongle. That's it. Hoping and wishing about other things does not help today, and I'd not hold my breath waiting for iLok and/or Avid to suddenly be less draconian and more end-user focused. And OK many end-users seem to like iLok licensing portability (the number of third party plugin vendors not using iLok has increased so much that I don't see iLok portability of plugins + Pro Tools licenses being as nice a thing as it used to be).

Treat those iLoks like they are critical, put a bright ribbon and name tag on them, with email/phone number that offers a reward. Maybe security cable them to the laptop or computer. Stash them inside bigger computers. Or attach a Tile or Apple AirTag to them. I use a Tile, key ring/label and a Apple USB-C to UAB-A adapter, which maybe provides some impact protection. Have them covered by ZDT. I have misplaced one iLok in ~20 years, found it a few days later after recovering licenses to a spare. I would hate to have to assume I can arrive some place and have the Internet be reliable enough to trust.

Most importantly I prefer being responsible for my ability to work, if I lose an iLok it's on me, so I plan not to. I'll take that over Internet access and iLok servers working OK when I have no control over the later, and they have been demonstratively not reliable. Including the very post starting this thread.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:15 PM

Good points. Something needs to happen to eliminate all these crashes.
How about just check license “call home” once a day, only when you launch pro tools for the first time that day , not while you’re working on a session, that’s it
No reason to kick you off your session 5 minutes after you’ve opened it , absolutely none!

This way you can launch pro tools in a Wi-Fi zone in your hotel lobby. And then edit anywhere even where you don’t have internet like on an airplane , train etc.