How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2023, 05:12 PM

Default Pro Tools to Premiere to Avid Question

Hello there,

First let me say this isn't a workflow I created. I would never have two different NLE's in a workflow if I expected things to run smoothly, but here we are.

At work we have dialogue recorded in Pro Tools and that is sent to EMR editors to create a "radio play." The radio play and raw wav files make their way to Premiere where an animatic is created. The animatic will then be sent to Media Composer as a video export and AAF export.

To minimize errors, the AAF from Premiere is brought back in to Pro Tools, where a new AAF is exported with the Enforce Media Composer Compatibility box checked. This method usually imports into Avid without error.

A question was brought up that why don't we check the Enforce Avid Compatibility box when initially exporting the wav files going to EMR and Premiere? Would it hurt or help anything, or be completely pointless until actually going to Media Composer?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2023, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools to Premiere to Avid Question

I’m with you. I’ve worked in animation for many years and would never approve this workflow.

I don’t think checking that box initially matters at all since the first AAF is going straight to Premiere folks. The workflow from Premiere back to Pro Tools then to Media Composer is pointless and just creates room for error IMO

Last edited by its2loud; 02-18-2023 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:23 PM

Hoo boy. That is unfortunate but sometimes we get stuck with crap workflows like this.

I really don't see the need to go to PT between Premiere and MC. And I agree I don't think it would make a difference if you checked the box beforehand. It only affects that exported sequence within the AAF.

Does MC not want to relink to the media from Premiere? That can happen but I don't know why...
Old 02-21-2023, 09:54 AM

We're also using old versions of all the software. 2018 Media Composer. 2019 Pro Tools. 2019 & 2020 Premiere. Working off of trashcans with Mojave or Catalina. We just convinced a brand new show to start off in Premiere 2022 (so we're only a year behind

).

Often opening an AAF in Avid directly from Premiere would get an Exception: CM_OFFSET_OUT_RANGE or an Assertion Failed error. We've been able to eliminate those errors for the most part if they open the AAF from Premiere in ProTools and enforce Avid compatibility.