Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Default What an idiot!

Hi, I'm either a complete idiot or something is wrong with my system.

I have an MBox2 Mini and installed Pro Tools LE on MacOSX.
I have a $600 Blue mic (XLR) plugged in to the mini unit. I am able to record and I see the waveform in PT, but get no sound in playback.

I have adjusted my system settings and cannot hear anything. If I right-click the file name in the project window, I'm able to see reveal file in the finder and play just fine in all other audio programs, so I know my sound settings are correct.

Does Pro Tools not allow the ability to simply play back through computer speakers using default sound output? I just blew 1k at the audio center today and have a pretty useless system now. Everything works in Garage Band but I was hoping to get started using Pro Tools. What else do I need to buy now or should I just return it?

Thanks.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: What an idiot!

The purpose of DIGI hardware is to get audio in and out of your computer using Protools software. Hook up some powered speakers or headphones to your Mbox and you should hear what you recorded. No serious recordist would use computer speakers for audio. If you really want to stay low budget(and that means quality is not a prime concern) maybe Garage Band is a beter solution for you. There are tons of choices in powered studio monitors starting at under $300/pair up to more than the 2 of us can afford. If you want to get serious with recording, you need to invest a little more and graduate from those computer speakers. Some good budget monitors: Behringer 2030A's, KRK KroKit5, Yamaha HS50's.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Does Pro Tools not allow the ability to simply play back through computer speakers using default sound output?
- No.

PTLE will only work through the digi hardware. You need to attach headphones and /or powered speakers to your mbox.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 AM

Thanks for the answers. I just need to know what I need. I know you guys look at me like a complete newbie and I won't hold that against you because I am. Is there some kind of Y splitter that can down-convert to standard 1/8"(?) headphones?

Here's my deal. I'm recording for a training screencast DVD. I want the audio quality of my screen recorded sessions to at least match a (brand unknown $300) condenser mic. I ended up buying this this one. Is it decent quality?

appreciate your help.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Try this. You can get it at Radio Shack. Stereo 1/4' to mini

Or invest in a decent pair of professional headphones. A tried and true standard is Sony MDR-7506.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM

Thanks a million.
I know this is a dumb question, but this only gives me audio on one side.
Is there a quick method in PTLE to render to both left and right?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:38 PM

when you record from your mic, you should use a mono audio track. i havent heard of many people recoding their mic in stereo
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 PM

That's exactly what I'm doing, but when I play it back it only comes out one side.
I have a Y splitter in my L/R Mono Out which goes to my headphones and only plays out one side (ear).
I've tried running the Y splitter out to my speakers and it plays back only one side.
I tried bouncing to a stereo track and it only plays one side.
I've also tried converting just one single jack to a headphone out and still I feel deaf in one ear.

Is there a method in PT to set it up to play both sides or do all you guys just have one ear?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 PM

If the problem occurs in a bounce to disk then most likely either the track output is assigned to only the L or R output, not the stereo output or the track is panned to that side (I'm assuming that you are choosing the stereo out on your bounce).

Do you have a pan control on the track in question? If there is not pan control it probably means the output is assigned to the L or R output only.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 08-03-2007, 05:04 PM

So let's check your cabling here...

You have an Mbox2. Which output(s) are you using exactly? And what is the Y-splitter for?

Here's why I ask. I have a feeling that you are taking an output from one jack on the Mbox, and splitting it into two, which would correspond to Left and Right signals. If you plug your headphones in to one of those jacks then you would only get one side, same goes for your computer speakers. I would bet that if you plug your phones in to the other jack, then you would get sound out of the other side.

What you could do is either plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the Mbox, and you might need a 1/4" to 1/8" convertor depending on your headphones. If you wanted to use your computer speakers (which would most likely have a 1/8" jack), then head out and purchase a Dual Mono 1/4" to 1/8" Female adapter, plug the 2 larger jacks into the L and R outputs of the mbox, and your computer speakers would plug in to the Female 1/8" connection on the other end of the adapter.

Though if your setup is different then ignore everything I've said.

Cheers.