Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2002, 12:50 AM

Default Re: CPU time errors

Thanks for your input Brent.

I am running the latest firmware and I reinstalled it this morning.

I have already been through some quite considerable steps to cure this and some other problems (type 2 errors mainly) including completely replacing my system drive along with multiple reinstalls, pram zaps, new core card, new 192, etc etc.

I have repeated the steps you suggest (I had not rebuilt the desktop before) but I am unfortunately still suffering from the same errors.

The plus side is that I can work, it's just that I cant use any RTAS. Obviously I must to be able to run RTAS if I need to, but more importantly, I am worried that there is an underlying problem with my system that could surface further at an undesirable moment. It may be worth noting that I gave the system to my dealer for a day for testing. He double checked it, and tested it very thoroughly. It behaved perfectly. I had an error the following day back at the studio. The only factor that has changed is the presence of the procontrol. Could actvity on the ethernet port be causing a system problem?

J
Old 10-01-2002, 06:44 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally posted by jackruston:
It may be worth noting that I gave the system to my dealer for a day for testing....It behaved perfectly. ...The only factor that has changed is the presence of the procontrol. Could actvity on the ethernet port be causing a system problem?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you haven't done so already, run the system without PC connected in your studio. If the Type 2's are eliminated, it appears that it can be one of 3 things:
1-Bad Ethernet Cable or Hub (if using one)
2-Bad Ethernet port
3-Bad ProControl

From an earlier post, it seems that you have eliminated #1. If all other Ethernet activity seems to appear fine (if using a cable modem or connected to a network), then that should take care of #2. In regards to #3, you should run the Ethernet Loopback test on PC and check the results. The instructions on how to conduct this test are located in your PC Reference Guide.

Brent
Old 10-01-2002, 07:09 AM

Thanks Brent. I have already eliminated the type 2's by replacing my scsi card. The only errors that remain are the CPU time errors ( -6031).

I have already run the loopback test and achieved 0% errors.

As my dealer found no errors when he tested the system I am hoping that it runs ok without the pro control. Obviously as the errors are intermittant, and he only had it for a day, this result is not 100% reliable. Unfortunately I am unable to do any extensive testing without the pro control as I am booked up solid at the moment. I am also worried that although the procontrol may be provoking the problem, it may not ultimately be the cause. I guess I should try connecting a different pro control and see if that cures it. That would identify the fault as being with the system not the pro control. Now where to find one... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jack
Old 10-01-2002, 10:45 AM

Hi,
Why is your DAE Playback Buffer set to 4? I think that is rather high for the sys that you are using...bring it down ot 2 or even 0.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:32 PM

I dont usually leave it at 4. It's just that I have been doing a lot of testing and have changed it a lot. In fact none of the playback engine settings seem to be affecting this problem at all.

J
Old 10-04-2002, 08:09 AM

I have run some further troubleshooting tests with another mac, another pro control, another 192, and no process card. The errors are still there. So...

It is not

The mac
The pro control
The core card (already replaced)
The process card
The Interface
Any of the cables

Which is good really, but this means the problem must be somewhere in the software. I have tried reinstalling more than once. I have tried a new system drive. I have tried different extension sets. I have had the excellent tech at my local dealer make sure that I'm not just being stupid...so what is the problem here?

The software is roughly as follows. If anyone sees anything that rings alarm bells please shout loudly.

os 9.2.2
pt 5.3.1cs3
logic 5.3 for os9
retrospect express
toast titanium
jam
recycle 5
qt5.0.2 pro

I also have various third party plug ins but I am still getting errors when they are disabled.

What could be upsetting RTAS?

Jack
Old 10-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Avid

It has been seen where Toast causes problems (especially if multiple versions are installed). Therefore, eliminate the Toast extensions from the system and see how things go. If Jam has any extensions specific to itself, disable those as well.

Brent
Old 10-04-2002, 09:58 AM

Thanks Brent
I have had those all disabled. No joy.
Jack
Old 10-04-2002, 11:42 AM

have you tried 5.1.3cs7... may be of no consequence but probably worth a go
Old 10-07-2002, 05:08 AM

I have now taken the original system drive, reformatted and installed 9.2.1 from the cd. I have reinstalled pt 5.3 and tried that with nothing else on the system at all. It is still giving me errors! What is going on here? If anyone is not at AES can they have a think about this please.

The os makes no difference.
The system drive itself makes no difference.
With or without scsi makes no difference.
Different pro control makes no difference.
Different Mac makes no difference.
I've taken out all usb etc etc.
Running off ide/firewire makes no difference.
Different versions of pt make no difference.
I have had a new core card.
Removing the process card makes no difference.
I have tried a different 192.
I have replaced all cables.

I am confused.

Is this a fault or an issue?

Jack