Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2022, 05:15 PM

Default Avid thank you for 2022.5, now please make solo safe a preference instead a default

Like the title says. Please make this solo safe for aux tracks a preference instead of a default. Solo safe is great for mixing but not so much for tracking, editing and creating. When you are editing a vocal, you don't want to hear all of the aux delays and verbs. You need dry vocals. Same when you are editing a part and you have fxs and sub mixes happening. There are many times in the creation process when you need solo to do just that...solo so that you only hear the one element that you are working on.

Yes when you are only mixing it is a huge time saver but if you want a daw that serves creators as well this "feature" is annoying and time-consuming to work around. Making this a preference makes things flexible to serve both needs equally.

Thank you in advance...

ej
Old 05-27-2022, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Avid thank you for 2022.5, now please make solo safe a preference instead a defau

My guess is that they've had a lot of requests for solo safe as default. I know that our company has auxes safed 19 times out of 20, so for us it's a great new feature. But I understand that it's not always ideal. The *option* to have either one as default would be good.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Avid thank you for 2022.5, now please make solo safe a preference instead a defau

Rather than a setting in preferences, how about a tick box in the Aux track creation window?

One of the things I like about Pro Tools is how it more or less works the same in every studio I walk into. If there's *yet another* setting hidden away in the preference panes to think about when I walk into a room it's just adding to an ever-growing list of things I need to check...
Old 05-27-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthemusicbloke View Post
Rather than a setting in preferences, how about a tick box in the Aux track creation window?

One of the things I like about Pro Tools is how it more or less works the same in every studio I walk into. If there's *yet another* setting hidden away in the preference panes to think about when I walk into a room it's just adding to an ever-growing list of things I need to check...

i could go for that...

Ej
Old 05-29-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
...When you are editing a vocal, you don't want to hear all of the aux delays and verbs. You need dry vocals....
ej
Use AFL mode - I have a macro to switch it from SIP to AFL and back; use it all the time.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-29-2022, 09:46 AM

When they fix this, they can add EJ to the special thanks: "To the one man who needed this..."

I'm like context is everything. You need to hear how that edit is affecting the reverb! Actually just remove all the solo buttons for maximum context.

Happy Sunday my fellow PT nurds!
Old 05-29-2022, 01:09 PM

Things to consider:
1-a habit can feel tough to break, but its still possible.
2-track presets(templates) and/or session templates is something to consider.
3-looking at this backwards, I always wanted an easy way to solo AUX tracks to listen to effects(especially reverbs) or the ability to solo while tracking in a way that doesn't affect headphone mixes(pre-fade HP sends still fall victim to effects suddenly changing in the phones). Follow along for my solution to these wishes:

In the last slot of every track(send J), I have a pre-fade send, set to -0 and all are muted. This send feeds a second set of outputs(which I can route to the main speakers, headphones or a second set of speakers). When I need to listen to anything, I Ctrl-click the send on that track(could be any kind of track, including a routing folder track) and I can listen to that signal(or any combination). I built this into all my track presets and session templates

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-30-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
When they fix this, they can add EJ to the special thanks: "To the one man who needed this..."

I'm like context is everything. You need to hear how that edit is affecting the reverb! Actually just remove all the solo buttons for maximum context.

Happy Sunday my fellow PT nurds!
Yea but it’s hard to fix and clean bad edits, pitch and timing issues with a bunch of delays, modulation and spatial effects happening at the same time isn’t it?

As for me I’d rather make sure I have a great tasting cake and find the most complementary icing than trying to adjust the cake based on how it combines with the icing…hope you get my point.

Ej
Old 05-30-2022, 07:03 AM

I'd prefer to solo the entire path of whatever I'm solo'ing. Similar to how routing folders work and plenty of other DAW's (routing folders don't need solo safe even though they are actually auxes).

Solo an aux and you'll hear all the tracks feeding that aux (and whatever comes next).
Solo a track and you'll hear that track (and whatever comes next).

This is not a new request either...
Old 05-30-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
... I always wanted an easy way to solo AUX tracks to listen to effects(especially reverbs) or the ability to solo while tracking in a way that doesn't affect headphone mixes...
This is *exactly* what PFL/AFL solo modes do.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6