Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2003, 07:30 PM

Default PT 6 Success stories?

I've only read complaints about bugs after installing PT 6.
Anyone care to post if PT 6 is running smoothly? Can you also post your setup?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: PT 6 Success stories?

Well....I have spent most of the evening....installing OSX 10.2.3, upgrading apple software, installing Pro Tools LE, and configue Midi for Roland XP-80....and have to say.....

God Bless America I did not have to reboot to come here and say....

Digi Kicks ###!

I Love it !

but I AM still on cloud nine....so dont take my word for it....

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
its 12:30 in the morning ...
are you going to bed?
G4 733 Ti 1Ghz 001 Mbox LE6.4 OSX 10.3.8 QT 6.9 XP80 XV2020 Midiman 2 POD2 Logic 6.43
Old 02-12-2003, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the post! Hey, have you seen any performance improvements over OS 9 yet? Like being able to use more plug ins or higher track count?
Old 02-13-2003, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Guerrero:
Thanks for the post! Hey, have you seen any performance improvements over OS 9 yet? Like being able to use more plug ins or higher track count?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. Installation for PT6LE and Wave gold4 went smoothly.
Compared to OS9 PTLE all is a bit slower.
(Powerbook 800 dvi & Mbox) Midi is not solid. (Sometime need to leave track and come back to hear playback){MTPAV USB} It works though and finally Digi has given us midi Names although OSX MIDI won't share with other apps. I think the Apple midi is still years behind OMS in 9. Hopefully in X.x it will mature.

Can't seem to use M-Box for Mac audio yet in the audio setup. But the FireWire MOTU896 works fine. (for Reason) Digi's new Chorus, Flanger plugins are audio suite only. There is NO save as version 5 which is too bad.

PS. seems to have greater track counts and the plugins I have don't seem as hungry.
All in All it is working well and no doubt it will get better.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:34 AM

"There is NO save as version 5 which is too bad."
NOT completely TRUE! There is no save as feature but I just opened my PT6 session with video in PT5.2. A-OK
Sorry for the premature information.

You mentioned performance! Well, with the video (Video window open) my PT5.2 can NOT keep up.(Max Buffer) It ran with video fine but sluggish in PT6.
Close the video and all is fine in PT5.2
QuickTime pro 6 in both systems.
My 5.2 still has more plugins (I wish they were all free upgrades) and no direct connect in PT6. So I will remain Reakting & Kontakting in 9, which means working and $$$$$.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:58 AM

I ordered mine on Tue it arrived on Wed. I loaded it and had no problems. (I have OS 9 and OS 10.2.3 on the same drive with no partition)

I was able to load the Demo session but had to remove a few plugins to get it to run. I have played the demo session with 13 plugins and had to up the H/W buffer size a bit and upped the CPU usage limit to 85% and it ran pretty well. The plugins included 1-band EQs, 4-band EQs, Delays, compressors, and reverb. I could get a few more plugins but performance really dropped off.

I'm happy so far.

Mitch

System:
iBook G3, 500MHz (66 bus), 384 RAM, OS 10.2.3
Mbox
PTLE 6.0
Old 02-13-2003, 07:08 AM

Hey TCDet ,

Are your two systems (5.2-OS 9 & 6-OSX) on sperate partitions or seperate boot drives?

dk
Old 02-13-2003, 08:00 AM

I finally got my upgrade yesterday and installed it. i should note as well that this was just installing and running no fine tuning and tweaking of sorts.

hooray OMS is dead, no more opCode filling up my head! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I opened a session i had before with 12 tracks and heavy waves plugins used, and the imfamous RVERB! i still had to bump my precessor to 99% (one processor worth) for it to playback. but it did! no slow to respond system no cpu error.... hooray now i can master that one bugger without bouncing certain tracks to disk and importing! i should note as well that i did not use any audiosuite versions here to see what it could really do. i am away from the box right now but can post the specifics if anyone would like.

i am more than pleased with 6.0 (problems not withstanding) and would say go for the upgrade as it has won me over.

now for the oops (or not so good)

the midi seems to be a bit buggy yet as i will describe:

I run my midi through a unitor MK II(usb) and not through the digi interface. i have a Mackie HUI, POD Pro, and a roland XP60 through this.

i did notice a bit more latency wit the new midi interface. by this is mean previously i could not hear the difference however, now i can percieve a touch so i will dig into fine tuning stuff this evening.

when i first record enable more than 1 midi track at a time i have to cycle the roland from perfomance mode to patch and back to performance mode again before it will pick up the signal. (wierd but i can live wit hit for now).

no patch names and when i clicked on the names icon in the mix window change a patch and close the window i did have Pro Tools crash one time. again i would not expect the first iteration of midi to be bulletproof! I'm sure these things can be worked out. However after the crash Pro Tools came right back up without a hitch! and the OS did not fall over either. no more 9 for me only X

final thought...

if you are not midi go for the upgrade!
if you are midi then be aware there are a few odd things that can and will happen but i would still go for it!
Old 02-13-2003, 08:13 AM

HI. They are on two partitions.
However If you have a new system I recommend staying in the default OSX/OS9 configuration.
In fact The mirror 867's I received in January would not allow OS 9 to be by it's self. You have to load it as a application restore. And only on a drive that had ten on it.
In Ten you will boot faster if all is on one drive. Ten searches and uses resources in both 10 and 9 like fonts.. Just keep track of your file location and all is fine. As far as safety in numbers Backups are best and archives are better (redundant backups)
Old 02-13-2003, 08:23 AM

Other than not understanding that drives need to be set as Record, Transfer, or Playback, I've only had one small problem. After that, I ran PT6 with my PowerBook G4/500 with mBox all day Tuesday and Wednesday without a single problem. I had 21 plug-ins (Digirack compressor, limiter, DVerb, Slap Delay, and EQ4) instantiated across 5 stereo tracks, 5 mono tracks, a stereo aux, a mono aux, and mono and stereo master faders. In addition, Peak 3.2 was running, a Cisco VPN client, and Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection client so I could stay in touch with the office. I was also running Safari so I could peruse our mSoft SFX library. I was at home on my DSL connection. Pure heaven!

I love the way PT6 doesn't make you wait for overviews to compute and I was able to read my mail in the RDC client while a ten-minute bounce was happening in the background.

Good job, Digi!

Marc Farly