Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2001, 10:51 PM

Default Tracking Organ/Vox in church

Feedback from experienced persons about recording Pipe organ and solo Vox in a lg. church (won't be "live", so we can overdub vox later)...mike choice/placement for organ especially...Thanks.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Tracking Organ/Vox in church

I do a caroling event every year in NYC that includes miking a pipe organ from inside the church. We place a Shure VP-88 stereo mic at the front row fo pews. Does a spectacular job. Using the stereo mic as opposed to a stereo pair eliminates any possible incorrections dues to phase if the mics are not placed exactly in the right spot, and the VP sounds superb. Excellent lows, great highs, very accurate and transparant.

For the vocal, since you mentioned it would not be live, perhaps a U-87 or an AKG C414B-ULS (either in onmi), experiementing with distance placement to get a good blend of acoustic space without washing the vocal out.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:55 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

-Just a couple of ?'s. Will there be a leslie? If so I would suggest close micing the rotors, and stereo micing the room for ambience, that could be mixed in w/ the directly mic'ed tracks to taste.
On a different note--I love to do live recording w/ the 001. It is well suited for the task. My 3 cents... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2001, 12:00 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

-Oh...pipe organ....duh!
For some strange reason I was thinking B3.My mistake. Although you could still do the same for some ambience...just don't mic the organ too close to avoid proximity effect or chuffing from the pipes. Any phase problems can be fixed by time slipping one of the tracks during editing... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]