Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Eleven plugin - effects?

This is a newbie question so please bear with me. I am considering Eleven plugin and was wondering how people use effects - pedals, outboard gear, software? Since I already have an interface I don't want to use 11R.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Eleven plugin - effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesteen View Post
This is a newbie question so please bear with me. I am considering Eleven plugin and was wondering how people use effects - pedals, outboard gear, software? Since I already have an interface I don't want to use 11R.
can you expand a bit? what kind of outboard gear did you want to use?

for pedal you could run them as normal, guitar into effect pedals, into interface, set In correctly, and put Eleven (RTAS/TDM) on an Insert.

Or you could run the guitar straight in, and through Eleven, then back out and through the effect and back in, ect.... ect... there are a bunch of ways to do it.

Or since Eleven Software does not have any effects, you could also purchase something like the BBE StompWare Bundle or another Guitar amp sim that does have effects like Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube 3, Waves GTR ect...and use the effects right in the box. Waves GTR has a nice "Effects Only" plugin. And I think they still have GTR Solo free for 1 year (you need an iLok i believe) but not sure if the solo version has the "effects only" plug.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM

I was thinking of using a outboard TC Electronic multi floor unit like the G-System or Nova. Just wanted to get some ideas as to what other people use. It seems it may be simpler to just use the 11R. The above is very helpful though, thanks.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of using a outboard TC Electronic multi floor unit like the G-System or Nova. Just wanted to get some ideas as to what other people use. It seems it may be simpler to just use the 11R. The above is very helpful though, thanks.
Does that unit have SPDIF? because that is an option as well if your interface has SPDIF of course

i suggest you take some time and search around the interweb for Eleven Rack info, search Here, GearSlutz, Harmony Central, Google, Bing, Youtube

www.Avid.com
www.Avid.com/ERXP

You will probably find the Eleven Rack will be a good fit for you.

What interface do you have now? If its an 002 or 003, then adding an Eleven Rack is great, you can still use the other interface as your main interface, and run the 11R via SPDIF.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm using a Yamaha i88x. It does have spdif so maybe 11R will work. How is the latency using 11R through spdif?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I'm using a Yamaha i88x. It does have spdif so maybe 11R will work. How is the latency using 11R through spdif?
Well it depends on the interface. When I had the 003R still, it was my main interface and latency was not a problem at all since the 003R is a Firewire interface and on Windows is capable of a 64 Sample buffer (32 on OSX)

The 11R on its own on Windows can only go down to 128 Samples, which is not bad, and you can always use LLM.

I actually 'preferred' using the 11R as a secondary device via SPDIF with a firewire device.

But alas, i sold the 003R, didnt need it for the near future, and Im looking to go HD|Native, so i thought I'd better sell now before resale goes down even more.

This is off topic, but man, as soon as PT9 was released, breaking free Pro Tools from Avid only devices, re-sale value plummeted over night for my little 003R.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio