Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 for Intel-based Macs

Quote:
I firstly would like to thank Digidesign for delivering 7.1.1 on time as promised, its good to know I can count on your word gonig into the future, so thanks Digi Design!

All is working great on my Imac exept for 3rd party plugins like amplitube 2, sampletank, Minimoog etc...

It seems to load when pro tools starts but is not avalible in the audio suite, no errors are given or registrations asked for while its starting up.

Can anyone give me some direction on this i've tried a number of things to no avail

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Best Regards
Michael
Don´t know about the rest. But Amplitube 2 doesn´t support AudoiSuite..
MacBook Pro i7/Apogee One/Duet/ElevenR/Pro Tools 12
Preamps from UA, Mackie and Avid.
Listening through Dynaudio, Genelec and ADAM
Old 06-01-2006, 12:02 AM

I downloaded and installed with out any issues. Running on a Mac Mini with Intel Duo Core.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:

Further to my last post. The exact message the installer 'stalls' on is:

"Preparing Pro Tools LE 7.1.1"

"Running Application Files Installer Script"

I left it on this for around 15 minutes and it didn't resolve itself. I've tried rebooting and it was no better.

Thanks,
Duncan

__________________________________________________ _

Err...yeah!

Read my post above - you have to install very slowly, selecting only one component of the installation at once, restarting, then installing another...

Glad I wasn't alone in this experience.

Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Further to my last post. The exact message the installer 'stalls' on is:

"Preparing Pro Tools LE 7.1.1"

"Running Application Files Installer Script"

I left it on this for around 15 minutes and it didn't resolve itself. I've tried rebooting and it was no better.

Thanks,
Duncan

__________________________________________________ _

Err...yeah!

Read my post above - you have to install very slowly, selecting only one component of the installation at once, restarting, then installing another...

Glad I wasn't alone in this experience.

Good Luck!
Hi guys,

I had exactly the same problem. Left the Macbook Pro for about half an hour, came back and it was still stuck on the first part of the install.

I downloaded the application again and second time it worked straight away. I put it down to corrupted data due to my slightly weak wireless connection. I made sure I had full signal the second time around.

On a different note, I was hoping to use my Macbook Pro on stage running 'Tools and Digi 002, but the laptop runs so hot, I'm not sure going on stage with it at any show other than an outdoor festival is a good idea. Maybe a block of dry ice underneath is the future!

Mickey.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
This is what I thought at first but after researching amplitubes website they claim to fully support the intel mac, see below.

iK Multimedia has announced support of the Mac Intel Core Duo platform for all its products. April 6, 2006

amplitube and sample tank should work acording to this or is it somthing digidesign need to port?
Announcing support and actually having an update to download are two seperate things. Digi announced "support" for the Intel Macs quite a while ago too, but the update wasn't available until yesterday (it just means "Yes, we plan to support the new Intel Macs, not "Our software is ready to run on Intel Macs). Note the bolded text in IK's press release:

"IK Multimedia has announced support of the Mac Intel Core Duo platform for all its products. IK has currently been testing products for use with the new processor architecture and it will start shipping them during the 2nd quarter of 2006 enabling IK users to combine the increased processing power of the new Intel based platform with IK's line of music production tools."

You'll just have to wait until IK releases their updates, since they don't have a date other than "2nd quarter" it could still be another month away.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:17 AM

Installed it last night on a 20" iMac with 002R and all the latest OS X updates. iMac is stock configuration with upgraded video card and 1.5 GB of RAM. Pro Tools ran well, but the Core Audio driver twice caused the machine to kernel panic. Also, since I've installed it, an application called "mds" has quit unexpectedly a few times. I haven't checked to see what mds is yet. I get no sound running through my 002R via the Core Audio Driver, also. I had to run the sound output through the alt in RCA ports and sound is only coming through one channel. The 002R works fine with my dual G4, so I know it's not a problem with the 002R, though I'm not 110% sure the cables are in working condition since I JUST moved and had to throw a lot of cables into boxes which might have pinched some cables.

As a software developer, it seems to me that this software was released at the very last possible moment and is still not ready (2nd quarter 2006 turns into May turns into late May turns into May 31). There's still no notification that the software is available via digidesign.com; you have to dig through to "hot news". You'd figure Digi would prominently display an Intel-compatible release to compete with MOTU and Apple.

I tried accessing the help files in Pro Tools and it told me that the files couldn't be found. (EDIT: I found this link to download documentation separately: http://www.digidesign.com/download/711/sw/ I had assumed the 125 MB download included documentation, or at least a notification that I needed to download the stuff separately). I get no notification as to what plugins are incompatible or need to be updated to work with 7.1.1, even with Digidesign plugins like Maxim. Though I haven't been able to play with it much (I had to go through the install process 3 times to get it working, which ate up most of my time), I have a feeling this release is going to be pretty disappointing. The fact that it's not a universal binary says, to me, that Digi is wayyyy behind the curve on the Intel hardware. I want to switch to Logic, but now I know I can't even trust the hardware drivers coming from Digidesign.

Thanks, Digi!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:

On a different note, I was hoping to use my Macbook Pro on stage running 'Tools and Digi 002, but the laptop runs so hot, I'm not sure going on stage with it at any show other than an outdoor festival is a good idea. Maybe a block of dry ice underneath is the future!

Mickey.
I read somewhere that's because thermal paste was not applied correctly to the CPU/Northbridge/Southbridge coolers... I saw lot's of webpages with detailed instructions on how to fix this - although not for the fainthearted! Do a google search on this subject!

Vov
Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:

As a software developer, it seems to me that this software was released at the very last possible moment and is still not ready (2nd quarter 2006 turns into May turns into late May turns into May 31). There's still no notification that the software is available via digidesign.com; you have to dig through to "hot news". You'd figure Digi would prominently display an Intel-compatible release to compete with MOTU and Apple.

...etc...

Thanks, Digi!
Word up fella!

I've bought multiple fully blown Protools rigs over nearly ten years - and have been inadvertently beta testing for them just as long!

It's a great program, as my multiple purchases attest (with the exception of the midi-track-resizing-problem I hasten to add). But unlike far more popular programs such as logic it does tend to be very slow on the uptake, I don't care what any other brown nose says on this forum!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:16 PM

Anthony,

I understand where you're coming from, but anytime you're getting the 'first' of anything, whether it be software or hardware, you're basically beta-testing. This applies to Digi, Apple, Microsoft.... it's part of the industry, and part of what being an 'early adopter' is all about, which is why I pick my spots when it comes to that sort of thing as I've gotten burned a few times in the past when I got too excited about a new product. Personally I wouldn't buy any of the Intel Macs until they hit their 1st revision, and wouldn't use any Intel/U.Binary software until after it's first major update was released. There's just no way companies can simulate the thousands/millions of potential user-base installations when they do pre-release tesing (as I'm sure you know), so it's a chance you take when you live on the bleeding edge.

It would seem however that most people are running the Intel PT pretty well, although you're not the first to comment on CoreAudio problems. Given the extremely poor history of Digi's CoreAudio drivers on the PPC Macs (so bad that I bought different hardware for CoreAudio stuff), I wouldn't hold your breath for a 100% reliable version coming out at any point, but hopefully they'll release something to get you out of Kernel Panic hell, that's a little extreme even by Digi's standards. Luckily since there's still no PCI Towers available yet, Digi can (hopefully) kinda continue to concentrate on the LE/M-Powered Intel/U.Binary versions since they don't have to worry about the HD folks yet, usually it's us LE users who get the shaft when it comes to updates, so at least there's a little hope.

Booyaka - you can label me a brown-noser if you want, but seeing as how Logic is developed by Apple, they're always going to be ahead of the game when it comes to getting things running on new hardware. Digi has always been a lot more reliable and ahead of the game than say MOTU when it comes to releasing compatible updates, so I think your comparison is a little unfair. There really aren't many professional apps ready for Intel Macs at all out there except the ones that are developed by Apple, so I think Digi is due a little credit for being among the first professional apps to at least release something to the Intel masses, even if it is a bit beta-testy.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:13 PM

my experiences with logic pro 7 have been nothing but negitive on the "audio recording" side. i'll take pt7 and it's slower updates anytime over the headaches of lp7 crashes.

not that pt7 is issue-free, it's just caused me a lot less heartburn........