Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2002, 08:36 AM

Default Other types of PCI cards?

My cpu's PCI slots are maxed out, and I'd like to add a Gigabit Ethernet card to the PCI expansion chasis that holds my mixcore and farm card. Does anyone see any problem with this?

Thanks,
Jared
Old 11-25-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Other types of PCI cards?

I don't think you will get Digi's blessing but I have heard success stories from others who have tried using non-Digi cards in their expansion chassii (sp?). If you try it, let us know what you find out.

-Donny
Old 11-25-2002, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Other types of PCI cards?

Don't know any specifics of your setup, but beware if dealing with gigabit ethernet as an add on card - expansion chasis or not becuase most all of them are 64bit cards that may or may not fit physically. If you do get one to work in your system don't be surprised if you really don't see that much of a gain because a 32bit PCI bus running at 33Mhz really doesn't have all of the bandwidth necessary to push the data out that gigabit pipe (well actually it does, almost exactly which is why a gigabit card in a 32bit PCI bus will never actually send data out of the card at 1gigabit per second). If it could it would only be able to do that and nothing else. Couple that with the added complexity of the expansion chasis and I think you may be flirting with disaster (or at best a waste of cash) ...my $.02