Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2024, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Install Sonoma > Beach-Ball! Beach-Ball! Beach-Ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Opinions vary wildly on this, but even with the speed of a good m.2 drive, I still NEVER use the system drive for my sessions. Using a MAC Studio M1 Max, with a pair of m.2 “drives” in a Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis, and it’ll handle anything I throw at it. I know, not as “fast” as recording to the system drive, but it’s never caused a problem.

My stand on it is, if there’s going to be a drive problem, it’s typically on the system drive, so my sessions feel safer to me on a dedicated drive. Case in point was when a lightning strike took out 3 computers…I had to start over from scratch, rebuild all of them from square one, but all my secondary drives with all my sessions were still intact.
YIKES! That must have been a nightmare. A BIT off topic, but..I was an early adopter of Equi-Tec Power all of my rooms and they have held up really well. I knew Martin Glasband years back when he was in Hollywood Hills and then he moved to Grants Pass Oregon. Thru the years, I was a guinea pig for several iterations of the rack systems and he gave me one unit for basically nothing. Then I got some upgrade pretty cheap as he wanted the one I had for his museum or something! LOL..
https://equitech.com
You might look into their products for the future as they are much improved even over what I have here and are really amazing and totally quiet down any RF issues I have ever had and keep my gear totally safe from damage.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS