Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM

Default Trouble returning midi to original state.

I recorded midi with PT set to unknown tempo. Then increased tempo forgetting about my midi take... then set timebase to "samples" in order to get original midi performance, but nothing happens to the midi. PT forgets the original performance because I changed tempo while midi was set to "ticks" then selected "samples".

I have tried restore performance. The restore does not seem to apply to midi that is shifted due to a tempo shift and then timebase changed to samples. My problem is I do not know what tempo i had originally set when recorded.

That does not seem right to me.

Can anyone reproduce what im getting?

record midi at 120 set to ticks. THen increase tempo to 160. Change timebase to samples. Midi does not change. Restore performance does nothing.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Trouble returning midi to original state.

Just trying here, but:
I hope you are taking about setting the tracks timebase to ticks (the little metronome icon), and not just the counter in the transport window?
Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 AM

Changing tempo whilst MIDI tracks are set to samples will not change MIDI playback, and that is how it should work. Tick-based will make MIDI follow tempo changes.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:02 PM

Hi, Yes I am using the ticks/samples setting on the track not the counter..

The problem is that you record midi while set to "ticks", then increase the tempo and set to samples, but the midi does not change back to the original state. Why not? I can reproduce this every time, is it just me? Could someone please try to reproduce? I would think that I should be able to get the midi back to its originally recorded state but after having increased the tempo and then set timebase to ticks, PT seems to forget the original state.

record midi while set to ticks, change tempo (see midi notes change and follow new tempo), set timebase to samples, but midi does not change back to original state.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindkind View Post
record midi while set to ticks, change tempo (see midi notes change and follow new tempo), set timebase to samples, but midi does not change back to original state.
This is how it's supposed to work, as far as I know.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
This is how it's supposed to work, as far as I know.
... for example:
I got this midi track that was recorded in PT to an external click, a drum machine or something, at say 110 bpm, in a session set at 120. So the first note was on beat 1, but the note supposed to be on beat 2.1 was late, and so on.

I imported the track into a session set to 120 bpm and saw that the notes didn't fit the bars and beats. It played too slow.

I set the midi track to sample-based, set the sessions tempo to 110, the notes now fell spot on the bars/beats, set the track back to ticks, set the session back to 120, and the midi notes followed.

I'm no midi guru, but I think you can look at it this way: A midi clip doesn't have a tempo. It's just events with a certain amount of ticks between them. And when you set a midi track to sample-based and change the tempo, you change how fast the ticks progress, yet the midi events stay with the samples timeline.

To get the midi back to "original state" you'd have to remember the different bpm settings you had before you adjusted while the midi track was in samples mode and reverse the process. Or, you could set the track to sample-based, fool around with the session tempo until the notes fell on bars/beats, and set the track to tics again. IHTH.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindkind View Post
The problem is that you record midi while set to "ticks", then increase the tempo and set to samples, but the midi does not change back to the original state. Why not?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.
Because when you set a track so sample based you effectively lock it as far as tempo changes are concerned.

Hve you tried this:

Set all tracks except the MIDI track in question to sample based. Then change the tempo back to 120 and you will get your original performance back.

Set the MIDI track in question to samples, put the tempo back to 160 and set all other tracks back to what they were before.

I do this all the time and it works. Sometimes it can be easier to work on a session copy with the tracks in question and then re-import them into the main arrangement.

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)