Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2015, 03:50 AM

Default Waves DigiGrid DLS

Hey, is anyone considering the DLS?? I remember reading an interview about in Sonic Scoop back in Feb.

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2015/02/10....d6KZkhir.dpbs

Sounds pretty promising with HDX integration. The latency spec sounds really good too.

Anyone got one?? What's your opinion?? Would like to know what kind of performance you're getting.

http://www.waves.com/hardware/digigr...with-pro-tools
Old 04-28-2015, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Waves DigiGrid DLS

Propower will probably chime in, but I plan on outfitting our studio with an entire Digigrid network(IOS, IOX, IOX). I think it's an awesome system, low latency, and great preamps (for the other interfaces).

Do you just need the DLS for the plugins or will you be running the other interfaces?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:27 AM

Well initially more plugin grunt, but I am considering the possibility of expanding my interface at some point as well.

I heard their pres are pretty immaculate
Old 04-28-2015, 05:27 AM

I'm am very pleased with the pres in my Digico SD9 setup. I would be VERY happy to have them in a recording interface.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 AM

Waves should just create AAX-DSP versions of their plugs. I could try to change my attitude if Waves sent me a free system to try it out, but currently I'm not even going to bother to take the time to go to a dealer demo-day.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
Hey, is anyone considering the DLS?? I remember reading an interview about in Sonic Scoop back in Feb.

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2015/02/10....d6KZkhir.dpbs

Sounds pretty promising with HDX integration. The latency spec sounds really good too.

Anyone got one?? What's your opinion?? Would like to know what kind of performance you're getting.

http://www.waves.com/hardware/digigr...with-pro-tools
I dont see how this sounds promising with HDX integration. From a HDX user point of view ( mine), i just want AAX DSP plugins. All the rest is just compromises. For the few Waves plugins that i still use, i use them in native, later in the mix.
I have more than 100 of them, and the only one that i still use on a regular basis while mixing is Q-clone.
I dont want extra layers, extra latency, etc... I just want one system. Thats it. So for me, no more Waves. Plenty of other interesting options out there.

Last edited by audioluche; 04-28-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: bad typo
Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 AM

Avid DSP or no DSP
Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Live sound and broadcast are changing fast. Studio workflows not as much. Waves is smart to make products that do as much as possible in as many arenas as possible. AAX DSP is simply too small of a market.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Certainly SoundGrid is not the solution for all. I was HD for 12+ years (PT4) and feel for HDX folk. Although you can add SoundGrid to HDX about as simple as possible - it ain't HDX.

BUT - it is a solution for a lot more folk than HDX is (IMO of course) and is poised to answer several scenarios HDX never can - like how about Cubase - Studio One or Logic with HDX? HD over Ethernet (maybe but not today)? HDX power for ~$2.5K? Not to mention all the live scenarios (not really my area of knowledge though) And many others. Not saying anyone is wrong but SoundGrid is a different product aimed to solve many scenarios - that either fits your needs or not. Its all good (and I still love HDX too!).

I also just received an IOS and IOX to check out. I will post some comments on these soon
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-28-2015, 03:03 PM

Yeah I must say the price point is a big seller. You can step into a HDX rig by going DigiGrid first, well I assume you can anyway. And if that works out for you, you can go further down the DSP path with HDX, or linking up multiple machines, not that I have a use for that much power yet.

Then there is the compatibility with many desks and their quality I/Os. Asides from the DSP aspect, the Focusrite REDs also do a similar thing over ethernet, has anyone managed to compare systems??

I can understand the whole AAX-DSP issue for some, but for those who haven't yet gone down that path it may not be as much of an issue. My guess is that Waves was working on their product line at the time HDX was announced, and wasn't going to spend extra time developing for a system they were already addressing with their more portable solution.

I'm not entirely sure that AAX-DSP is worth the investment, but if you already have invested, then it's a different story.