Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2000, 03:37 AM

Default Korg 168RC ADAT interface.

Obviously this is more a question for Korg but does anyone know what bit depth can be handled by the ADAT interfaces on the 168RC? I was reading in the manual that the internal resolution of the desk is 24bit. Can't seem to find any more info. I'd be chuffed to bits if the ADAT I/O could accept and send a 24bit data stream.

(By the way, I bought my Digi001 yesterday!)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-23-2000, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Korg 168RC ADAT interface.

here is a quote from :- http://userweb.interactive.net/~gdesign/

I did a great deal of testing last night with the 168rc, a Sonorus StudI/O, and a 24bit 48khz WAV file. I fed the signal through the 168rc's Digital IN A1, routed it
directly out Digital OUT A1 and recorded the result via Wavelab. The 168rc took the 24bit data and truncated it to 20bit. I confirmed my setup by taking the
lightpipe cable and looping it back (OUT-IN) on the StudI/O and got an exact 24 to 24bit copy.

A technical representitive at Sweetwater Sound told me that ADAT units made a couple years ago, and you can tell by the ADAT logo on the box (which the
168rc has), will only allow up to 20bit data. Looks like he was right. I was hoping to use the 168rc in conjunction with a 24bit converter box (like the Tango 24)
and use the 168rc to mix down the tracks. Looks like this wouldn't work, but would be OK for a 20bit converter box.

Also - maybe, you could answer a question for me ( sorry about o/t)?

Is it possible to assign 8 of the digital inputs directly to the second ADAT out port without assigning them to one of the 8 busses ( and hence the first ADAT out port ) ?

In other words, what I want to do is put the 8 analogue inputs to port 1, the 8 digital on port 2 and connect them to a soundcard
Old 01-24-2000, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the answer. So, we're talking 20bit. That's a real shame - I was hoping to use the desk as a digital FX send/return with the Digi001. I'd be interested to know if you can actually hear the difference the truncation makes (are we talking LSB or MSB?). Makes you wonder why the internal resolution is 24bit, ie. the A/D's are 18bit and the lightpipe only passes 20bit.

Your question about routing - not 100% sure. I recall having some routing issues where the inputs from one port are passed directly to the matching output (A->A) but I can't remember seeing if you could configure going A->B. I would have thought so. You've got me wondering now .... I'll check it out.

BTW, have you tried to use the 168 as a control surface for the Digi001?

Later,

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeC (edited January 24, 2000).]
Old 01-24-2000, 10:15 AM

Sorry, I was actually considering buying one (they're being sold off cheap here in the UK ) - so I don't have access to a manual and korg UK technical support is off sick !
Old 01-24-2000, 06:19 PM

I sold off a 168RC this summer. I'd used it as a utility mixer when I was wprking at the computer. (My primary mixer is a Panasonic DA7.) It sounded good. It proceessed at 24 bits, but sent and received at at either 18 or 20 bits. My biggest problem with the 168 was that it would only work at 48k. (Korg's 1212 I/O card is a lot more flexible.)

I will admit that I never took the time to program faders, since they were not flying faders.

BTW-If you want a control surface, and think the 001's I/O set up is suitable (and do not have to use an Opcode Studio 5 MIDI interface in your set-up), Look into CM Automations Motor Mix.
Old 01-25-2000, 01:06 AM

What a pain about the 168's ADAT light pipes. I was hoping to be able to use the desk to provide some addition fx send/returns and possibly as a control surface for ProTools. I'd be interested to find out how noticeble the truncation is.

Other than the Digi001, the rest of my setup doesn't support 24bit data (yet). Until now, I've been using the setup with a 1212 as master clock source so the desk slaved to 44.1kHz. The computer's light pipe and a dedicated hard disc recorder (Fostex D90) routed to the desk's light pipes. A pretty flexible 16bit setup.

I've been looking at the Panasonic for some time. It looks a pretty well featured desk. How have you found it? I'll be needing surround sound encoding within the next couple of months - I was thinking about getting a suitable plug-in but maybe the desk will do the trick...... at a price, of course. Oh the pain of trudging down the rocky upgrade path!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Old 01-25-2000, 06:35 AM

I've personally found the Panansonic DA7 to be essentially incredible, for a desk in it's class. (And the next couple of classes above it.) Very flexible, very user friendly, good on-board moving fader automation (with an optional, but not required, computer automation expansion program) and, IMHO, a great sound. (Warmer than a Mackie d8b for about for about half the price.)

I've had the DA7 for about 18 months. As, you can tell, I've been quite please. I'm in the process of switching out 4 Akai DR4's I've used for around 5 years (hooked to the DA7 with 2 AES cards with the last 8 channels from the computer through an ADAT card, and locked with MTC). I'm moving to a MOTU 2408 set-up from the Mac with 24 tracks running to the board on 3 ADAT cards. So far, the transition has created no regrets.

If you are interested in what users are saying, check out the message board at www.da7.com.

Your thread is not clear if you're looking for a control surface for Pro Tools recording and automation functions, or you really need to use and convert the lightpipe for extra sends and returns. If all you basically need is the control surface, the previously mention CM Automation Motor Mix is only about $800 to $900. It's well worth the investment for use on a Digi001 system.
Old 01-25-2000, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the pointer. Basically, I'm trying to find a way to prevent my 168 becoming totally redundant! Not really too sure how it will fit in without causing losses to the audio quality. Need a bit of a rethink how everything is connected, methinks...

Cheers,

Mike