Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Protools 11 boots, but hangs on opening a session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo.K View Post
Dear Musicman,

I'm not doing anything extraordinary here, my samples is just a bunch of data, nothing complicated or conflicting here.

That I've been working with PT10 and any other application for almost a year without experiencing any serious problems is all just luck? Ok yeah...
It doesn't matter that samples are just data or not complicated. It's just if you want max performance then separate drives for samples, PT to record to and operating system are the way to go.

Yes - you may well have been lucky with your setup before but as they say in the financial world: past performance is no indicator of future performance.

QAPLA!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:46 AM

How many times do I have to post this I'M NOT RECORDING TO MY INTERNAL DRIVE

You're mixing up things. There is world between maximum performance en total crash on trying to open any session. I've been working with Protools for more than a decade I know exactly when Protools is on max performance. That generates completely different errors and glitches than what I've experienced last week. And as mentions in my first post I solved the problem I only had to do something unusual, that's what I wanted to share. Everything is working fine again.

Cheers
Hugo

Protools 11
iMac late 2012 3.4 GHz i7 16GB Ram
3TB Fusion Drive
Mavericks 10.9.3
Metric Halo ULN2 Expanded - connected with thunderbolt to FW800 adapter to cable FW800/FW400
Old 11-10-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo.K View Post
How many times do I have to post this I'M NOT RECORDING TO MY INTERNAL DRIVE

You're mixing up things. There is world between maximum performance en total crash on trying to open any session. I've been working with Protools for more than a decade I know exactly when Protools is on max performance. That generates completely different errors and glitches than what I've experienced last week. And as mentions in my first post I solved the problem I only had to do something unusual, that's what I wanted to share. Everything is working fine again.

Cheers
Hugo
We got past that a long time ago. What I was talking about in my last post was having your SAMPLES on a separate drive. You do this because any drive only has one read/write head assembly even though there might be multiple platters in the drive. Having that assembly trying to access different points at the same time is physically impossible and it doesn't matter how fast the drive and electronics are.

What I've also been trying to say is you may be having problems with your internal drive (or the file system on it) and have outlined the steps to check if that is the problem. That business about booting from an external drive and then the internal drive seeming to work can be pointing to that kind of problem. There are some problems that can be fixed just that way. There are also some problems that can be fixed by booting into safe mode on a Mac and then rebooting into normal mode. Please try these things and see what happens. You shouldn't be having these types of problems on a regular basis and if it were a PT 11 problem there would be more complaints on it.

When PT crashes - are you sending in the report to Avid? Sometimes when PT crashes a report is generated that you can send in.

QAPLA!