Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 01:10 PM

Default Pro Tools Training

I was looking for information on the Pro tools training centers. Has anybody used them and have they helped? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Training

Is it worth the money for Expert classes? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 09:57 PM

Yes. Is it worth it for the expert classes or are you better off learning in a studio?
Old 08-24-2002, 09:44 AM

I'm curious as well. Specifically, are studios acknowledging these official "certifications"? In major markets, are the certified operators commanding a higher pay rate?

I would love to get some feedback from people who have taken these courses.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:09 PM

I haven't taken the classes, but I have taught a bunch of them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What I can tell you about the certification program is that we are establishing a base of knowledge for every person to have. Like a license to drive a car, people need to have a qualified (and quantified) expectation when considering a person for a job. Being a certified operator will not make you a qualified recording engineer or songwriter. It will, however, make you a qualified ProTools operator.

It's a little premature to judge the impact of people with ProTools certifications on the job market. My guess is that we will begin to see this certification having an impact within the next year as more and more new users are boasting their certifications and doing a good job for the person who decides to hire them. There will obviously be a significant group of people who will "grandfathered" past being certified, but the guys who are trying to get their foot in the proverbial door will probably find an easier road with some formal, intense education on the real world operation of this system.

As to not seem like a person waving a flag and giving hypnotic shout outs for the cause, I'll refrain from talking the program up to highly, but I will say that the course is extremely intense and any person, no matter what their skill level, can and will learn a lot in the 8 days it takes to complete 101, 201, and a 210 course.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:47 PM

Well it's another way to make money off your Digi DAW.......... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rope:
I was looking for information on the Pro tools training centers. Has anybody used them and have they helped? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Future Media Concepts in NY or Philly. Excellent
Old 08-26-2002, 09:31 PM

I took the Pro Tools class with Shawn Simpson teaching us ( 3 other people) and it was really fun and I learned alot.

I suggest checking it out you truly learn alot too.

Just my 2 cents,

Jason Loomis
[email protected]
Psycho Ranch Productions
Flagstaff,Az
Old 08-27-2002, 10:39 AM
ACI/ALP Moderator

I don't know about this whole certification thing. What facility has ever hired an engineer based on a certificate that represents 8 days of training? Unless I'm looking for an intern, I wouldn't hire someone with less than a few years of experience.

Every engineer I've met from Expression Center, Full Sail, etc. is basically ready for an internship. A year and tens of thousands of dollars to prepare students to become interns? Why not get an internship right now and save yourself the money? You won't make any money but at least studios don't make you PAY THEM to be an intern.

Of course, the courses could be useful for experienced engineers who would like to brush up on their ProTools skills.

YMMV.

-Eric
Old 08-27-2002, 11:30 AM

certification is at this point, as meaningless and meaningful as any other audio education -- it won't get you any jobs but it might better prepare you for the job you do get. which is no doubt important. of course, if you have some inittiative, you can prepare yourself by reading the manual and using the program. most of what you really need to know, however, comes from experience in your field, which is why people will continue to hire based on experience and credits rather than schooling.
but i do know that if you want to teach protools (which is a good way to make a little steady cash), some places require certification.