Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Default One doomed 7.4 session...

I've been converting all of a band's record from 7.4 to 8 to finish it.

and yes, it takes a while to render the waveforms each time I open a &.4 session in 8, but it gets there.
Then it usually requires a Save Copy In to unscatter the info on the harddrive enough to carry on

but this ONE song, one session, is balking.
When it opens it takes forever to render (little bits, regions, show up on screen, but never very much)... eventually it crashes both PT8 AND with it the entire computer.

I've also tried making a new session and importing the session data but the same thing happens.

ideas?

thanks

(I don't have 7.4 anymore to play around in)
Old 04-02-2009, 06:43 PM

Default Re: One doomed 7.4 session...

I know this will be tedious, but create your new session and import one track at a time(from the older version) and save after each successful track addition, so when you get to one that crashes, you will know which one to skip. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be some minor or unused part that is causing the problem. FWIW, I have had few problems opening older sessions on my PT8 setup. A couple of older sessions just make PT disappear and puts me back at the desktop. Props to PT8 for reopening without a reboot.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I know this will be tedious, but create your new session and import one track at a time(from the older version) and save after each successful track addition, so when you get to one that crashes, you will know which one to skip. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be some minor or unused part that is causing the problem. FWIW, I have had few problems opening older sessions on my PT8 setup. A couple of older sessions just make PT disappear and puts me back at the desktop. Props to PT8 for reopening without a reboot.
Exactly what I was gonna say(Albeesure u always beat me)

& same here as far as running into that 1 session that just won't co-operate; sucks goin thru each track but it beats getting mad as hellz b/c the session/PT keeps doin magic(the disappearing act)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 PM

You might try consolidating each successfully imported track as you might be stuck with starting a new session. Consolidated tracks will be easier to align if you must begin again. You also might try going back in time a little and see if any of your auto-saved sessions offer you any better luck.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 PM

Even one track at a time takes FOREVER, and then doesn't import all the info.
(like plug ins)
then crashes
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM

How big is the session file? Maybe you can use yousendit.com and shoot it to me and I can try it on my system. If I can open it, I can resave using PT8 and send it back. I also have access to 7.4.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks for that.
I may take you up on it!

meanwhile i was thinking the drive was getting funky... but Disk SetUp says it's fine and every OTHER session folder on it is just fine.

Even trying to COPY files from that folder takes a long time and then either fails or causes a major crash.

It would seem to me that folder and its files got corrupted but the disk utility doesn't see it.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM

I hope you are copying everything to another drive just in case!! Maybe after copying to another drive, the copy might open(you never know).

Old 04-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I hope you are copying everything to another drive just in case!! Maybe after copying to another drive, the copy might open(you never know).
Good time to back up the drive. I'm assuming that one has done the usual repair permissions and possibly a defrag? Also I assume that this can't be opened in 7.4? as in 7.4 is not available..... Because thats the first thing I would be trying if it was a importent session. Even if it meant loading a older drive or image into the system to open it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-05-2009, 11:53 AM

the weird thing is that every OTHER session on the drive opens fine and copies to a new drive just fine.

but this ONE session hangs up everything.

I can't even drag audio files from this one session to a new drive without it dragging things down to a crawl and then usually failing to copy.

Yet, DiskSetUp says the drive is fine and every other song works perfectly.

I'm obviously giving up on this drive, but I have yet to figure out how to get this session OFF.

in true Sod's Law style, their backup of the whole thing failed completely.

the failed backup is a WD drive (which is NO surprise to me), but the main drive with the weird session is an OWC Mercury, which usually work well for me.