Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2003, 08:23 PM

Default recording dynamic vocals

I'm working on a song that has a very dynamic vocalist. With a heathy level on the verses the chorus parts jump through the roof. Adjust for the chorus part and the verse level is puny. I don't have any outboard compressors or limiters to utilize. What's the best way to get a good level for all parts in the song. Should I record it in sections and adjust the gain on my pre or level things out with software plugs? I played around with an L1 plugin but with the dynamics of the vocal it sounded un-natural. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Micah
Old 12-23-2003, 08:53 PM

Default Re: recording dynamic vocals

It's not you. It's the vocalist.

The most important issue is getting the singer to use good microphone technique.

For the softer verses, get the vocalist up on the mic, and for the louder parts get them to back off.

It's all about microphone technique. Watch some Matchbox20, Rob Thomas is really dynamic and has great mic technique.

Also, in the old days we used to ride the fader alot (good engineers still do) while recording. You can adjust while watching the singer and the meter as to maximize the signal.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:07 PM

Thanks Seven!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:44 PM

your better off setting up a compressor within protools for when recording

create a mono AUX track have the input just say input 1
and the out put buss just say 16 put a compressor on the
AUX track then create a mono Audio track
and have the input for that buss 16
then put the track into record enable
and there u go
Old 12-23-2003, 10:56 PM

Simplest approach: do several takes at both high and low gains, let the loud parts go over at high gains, and let quiet parts be inaudible at low gains, and just take the good bits, patch them together. Read up on using playlists, will save time and keep things organized.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:18 AM

You give us little info to work with. There are two main Q - 1) can you call the singer back in the studio OR 2) do you have to work with what you already got. The aswers you will get are very different.

For short; if (1) applies, put some compressors/limiters (like f.x. Sony Inflator), Tel-Ray and Reverb in his headphones - singers have a tendency to "sing with the sound" you give them. Give them fat and they will sing even fatter. (You don´t have to print this on the track however). I don´t have any problem singing with latency myself, but to some it´s a red blanket, don´t tell them what you are doing, just see if it works and they feel good about it.

With (2) the time aspect comes in - are you on the clock or is it a personal project? Clock - shift some frequences around, C4 (is a very useful tool), compressors (CompressorX is fat if thats what you´re after) and L2 is far better than L1. S1 sometimes can even things out. If personal the advice of (1) applies. Now I´m starting to rambling, so Merry X-mas and happy recordings to ya all...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 12-24-2003, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try all your suggestions and see what comes out the best. GW calling the singer back in is no problem, its a personal project so I'm not worried about aggrevating anyone. Any other techniques you guys have are welcome.

Thanks Again,

Micah