Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2016, 06:10 PM

Default Pro Tools 12.5 and Windows 10 Drivers Question

My question has to do with the fact that Windows 10 is touting that it installs its own latest available hardware drivers whether the user wants it to or not unless you dig down into and take some serious steps in Windows 10 to prevent it from doing so. So in the case of Avid HD and HDX related hardware drivers is that something Avid would collaborate with Microsoft on or would Windows 10 ignore certain hardware vendor drivers in the sense of not changing then to a Microsoft driver. I'm not sure if anyone besides someone from Avid can tell us what that relationship is. Do we need to worry about our drivers for Pro Tools being automatically changed by Windows 10 Windows Update? I don't see Windows 10 optimizations anywhere. Latest I found was Windows 8 in the faq's. I haven't looked in 12.5 read me yet.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.5 and Windows 10 Drivers Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman1973 View Post
My question has to do with the fact that Windows 10 is touting that it installs its own latest available hardware drivers whether the user wants it to or not unless you dig down into and take some serious steps in Windows 10 to prevent it from doing so.
I take this to mean mobo hardware drivers.....who would be working with MS on this stuff anyway.

Quote:
So in the case of Avid HD and HDX related hardware drivers is that something Avid would collaborate with Microsoft on or would Windows 10 ignore certain hardware vendor drivers in the sense of not changing then to a Microsoft driver.
I would hope they would....seems like it would have better performance if they did......

Quote:
I don't see Windows 10 optimizations anywhere. Latest I found was Windows 8 in the faq's. I haven't looked in 12.5 read me yet.
same here, I would like an official document to say what needs changinging.....I just installed W10 on a spare drive last night..
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM

An example of a driver other than a motherboard driver would be a Nvidia graphics card driver. Windows 10 is now showing a Microsoft driver when I had just previously installed the latest Avid recommended Nvidia driver for my video card.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before this.
Windows 10 has morphed into not just an Operating System.
A O.S. used to be (in a simplistic form) a system that would get a collection of hardware to talk to one
another and play well together.

Avid would review the new software system and make sure their hardware and software would be
compatible to the new updated O.S.

Windows 10 though has, in my opinion only, turned into a type of live/open system, where there are ever
present changes being made to it.

M.S. would prefer for users to not be able to turn off auto updates.
It is very much a tracking and analytical tool now, not just a O.S.
I don't know what they do with their data but they have the ability to monitor almost anything they choose to.

M.S. would prefer to sell you apps and tie you into their Xbox system.
Even in their professional server software there are tie ins to the Xbox.
This is not just an O.S. anymore. M.S. certainly had a reason/strategy for offering Win 10 for free.

I may be mistaken but I thought Windows 10 was rumored to be the end of the numbering system for Windows.
This new O.S. is now a auto updating/live system and therefore new versions won't need to be rolled out.
Your computer will just keep changing itself as M.S. shoves out update after update.

So a company like Avid now has a problem, because the O.S. is never in a stable state as things used to be.
You have a ever changing software organism to deal with. With constant updates a company like Avid can't
know what it is dealing with from moment to moment.

I don't know if Avid or other companies can ever say they can approve the Windows O.S. any longer.

One last thing also is, did Microsoft not recently announce a law suit against the D.O.J. because they were tired of the
DOJ showing up with demands for them to turn over data to them and at the same time would issue M.S. a gag order so
that they could not disclose that confiscation of data to the public. I know I saw that a few weeks back on the news.

So Avid has it''s hands full with this new style O.S.
M.S. has it's own agenda and I'm sure companies like Avid aren't even on their horizon as far as concerns go.
Again just my lousy 2 cents thoughts.

Last edited by ValkRider; 05-03-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkRider View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before this.
Windows 10 has morphed into not just an Operating System.
A O.S. used to be (in a simplistic form) a system that would get a collection of hardware to talk to one
another and play well together.

Avid would review the new software system and make sure their hardware and software would be
compatible to the new updated O.S.

Windows 10 though has, in my opinion only, turned into a type of live/open system, where there are ever
present changes being made to it.

M.S. would prefer for users to not be able to turn off auto updates.
It is very much a tracking and analytical tool now, not just a O.S.
I don't know what they do with their data but they have the ability to monitor almost anything they choose to.

M.S. would prefer to sell you apps and tie you into their Xbox system.
Even in their professional server software there are tie ins to the Xbox.
This is not just an O.S. anymore. M.S. certainly had a reason/strategy for offering Win 10 for free.

I may be mistaken but I thought Windows 10 was rumored to be the end of the numbering system for Windows.
This new O.S. is now a auto updating/live system and therefore new versions won't need to be rolled out.
Your computer will just keep changing itself as M.S. shoves out update after update.

So a company like Avid now has a problem, because the O.S. is never in a stable state as things used to be.
You have a ever changing software organism to deal with. With constant updates a company like Avid can't
know what it is dealing with from moment to moment.

I don't know if Avid or other companies can ever say they can approve the Windows O.S. any longer.

One last thing also is, did Microsoft not recently announce a law suit against the D.O.J. because they were tired of the
DOJ showing up with demands for them to turn over data to them and at the same time would issue M.S. a gag order so
that they could not disclose that confiscation of data to the public. I know I saw that a few weeks back on the news.

So Avid has it''s hands full with this new style O.S.
M.S. has it's own agenda and I'm sure companies like Avid aren't even on their horizon as far as concerns go.
Again just my lousy 2 cents thoughts.
None of this has been an issue so far but I can see how it could be. MS installs one crappy driver and bang, PT shoots constant errors. Can't you kill the driver updates stuff in W10 Pro?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
None of this has been an issue so far but I can see how it could be. MS installs one crappy driver and bang, PT shoots constant errors. Can't you kill the driver updates stuff in W10 Pro?
You are correct, it could well be it will never be an issue.

I know there are still some users that will not allow their bread and butter systems to be on the internet at all just so nothing gets introduced that could break it. I'm not sure how Avid's collaboration ideas can gel with it all being you need to online for that.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:31 PM

One of the features of windows 10 is better protection from malware. This involves frequent security updates. Apple is doing the same thing now that the Mac accounts for around 10% of personal computers which has made it a lot more of a target.

The days of freezing an OS and keeping computers off the net are over for a great many of us.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:36 PM

I hope it will never be an issue. I have to say I can see why Avid wasn't quick about qualifying Windows 10. If you are already running Windows 10,go into Windows Update and look at the options you are given to limit how you want updates to occur. You can "defer" certain updates for a period of up to several months and then the OS is going to update them whether you say it can or not. It's pretty eye opening if you spend an hour or so reading the MS help files. It will take me awhile to get my head around it. I'm not trying to paint any pictures of doom and gloom and hope we can forge ahead with the new OS. That was the point of my original post, to see if anyone knew if it was going to affect the Pro Tools drivers. If it becomes too much of an issue I have my Win 7 backup to revert to.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkRider View Post
I'm not sure how Avid's collaboration ideas can gel with it all being you need to online for that.

You know I've noticed the "No Internet Connection" verbiage in the edit screen since 12.5....it would be nice to disable that...side of the software and possibly get a performance increase by doing that!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 AM

Just to put a little context into the soup.
I've been running Windows 10 since it was first released on my home PT system where the majority of my software testing work takes place, I left all the default update settings so Windows updates occur frequently, automatically and I have not once had a single instance where a Windows update has caused an issue.

Join the Facebook Pro Tools Windows User Group