Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM

Red face midi sustain pedal not working in pro tools le 7.4.11

Hi I am still trying to solve this problem, I have checked that the controllers are there for the midi track and sustain is in the list.
Everything else works fine but the bloody sustain pedal, I have sent digi tech support an email, I might try and ring, but if anyone can put more light on this that would be great.
Cheers.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Default Re: midi sustain pedal not working in pro tools le 7.4.11

You really should keep your responses in your original thread... Otherwise, the information you have already posted, along with any advice you have already received (ahem) will be left out of any further troubleshooting..

Anyway... You have confirmed that the controller is enabled in the MIDI track, but you did not say if you checked the MIDI input filter: Setup>MIDI>Input Filter...

You have not said what kind of controller you are using (what is it?), or if it is a synth also.. I only have a SL161 controller, but I have to turn sustain on for the pedal to be recognized.. I can only assume that other controllers might require a setting to be made, as well. Even if your keyboard is a synth, it is possible that you have to enable it to pass sustain controller info out of the MIDI port.

Another question is, if you are using a keyboard with it's built in sounds, how exactly are you recording and routing the MIDI to and from the keyboard? It is possible, if you are directly triggering the keyboard (local control on) and not using MIDI thru in protools (local control off) that you would hear the sustain pedal working when you play, but that info is not making it into ProTools.. Are you familiar with local control and it's effects?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM

(Are you familiar with local control and it's effects) No I am not sorry have not done much in the way of midi.
(Controller) I presume u mean keyboard, if so it is a casio piano with midi in and out foot control and audio out very basic keyboard with limited sounds that is why we are using reason via rewire in pro tools, well trying anyway.

checked the MIDI input filter: Setup>MIDI>Input Filter... checked.

Sorry for posting in two spots but did not see the midi section??????????

(but that info is not making it into ProTools..) yes that is right.

If you need more info to help just let me know and I shall do my best to get it to you.
Kind Regards
Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with local control and it's effects) No I am not sorry have not done much in the way of midi.
Local control is used to link the "controller" of a keyboard to its "synth". If Local control is turned off, then your keyboard will send out the MIDI you play on the keys (the controller), and it's synth will respond to incoming MIDI to create sound, but the 2 are disconnected. In other words, with local control off, if you play your keyboard just by itself (not connected to ProTools) you won't hear any sound because the MIDI you are generating isn't making it to the synth.

Quote:
(Controller) I presume u mean keyboard, if so it is a casio piano with midi in and out foot control and audio out very basic keyboard with limited sounds that is why we are using reason via rewire in pro tools, well trying anyway.
No, I mean controller. When people talk about their"keyboards", they are usually talking about a synth that has keys and makes sound. A controller only has the keys and makes no sound. It only outputs MIDI.

What model Casio? Maybe there is something in an online manual that will help... Like I mentioned before, it's possible that the Casio needs to be enabled to output the sustain info

Quote:
checked the MIDI input filter: Setup>MIDI>Input Filter... checked.
By this you mean that you looked at that page and found that sustain is not being filtered?

Or that you looked at that page and found that sustain is "checked"? If this is the case, then that is not what you want.. You should just click the radio button next to "all" and leave everything else blank.

Quote:
Sorry for posting in two spots but did not see the midi section??????????
Not a big deal, it just gets very confusing. I noticed your other post about recording MIDI in Reason that DigiTech is helping you with... That info could have some bearing on all this as well... I agree, though, that it will be better if you record the MIDI into ProTools and just trigger Reason.

Quote:
(but that info is not making it into ProTools..) yes that is right.
So the sustain is heard in Reason, but won't record in a Protools MIDI track?

As an experiment, set up an aux track with the reason rewire inserted, then set up a MIDI track and send it's output to the piano instrument in Reason.
Record some MIDI. Then open up the sustain controller lane. Presuming that there is no sustain info getting recorded, try to draw some in with the pencil tool. The values need to be 0 or 127 (I think) for it to have any effect. Then playback and make sure that Reason is responding to the info you drew in..
Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks Flommer
I will go and check all the info your have told me, and I will get back with my results, may take a while next week as we have muso's in the studio at the moment playing on a CD that we are recording, so once I get them out of here I will start the process, Dont need the midi stuff now but will be good to sort it for next time.

Thanks again for all your help.
Kind Regards