Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2003, 01:58 PM

Default is it possible to double all note values?

To be more specific, say I have a MIDI composition and I want to stretch the song out to double it's length, so it plays half as fast. Before you say I should just half the tempo, here's the problem. I don't need the tempo to be slower. I need the note values themselves to be longer; ie. each quarter note is now a half note, each 32nd note a 16th note, and so on. I know there's the 'Note Duration' tab, but it will only drag out note endings, causing them to overlap all following notes. Summing up, I need a way to double the note values, NOT just half the tempo.

Why do I want to do this? I've recently started creating ringtones, and when I make monophonic tones for older phones, I have to use a process wherein you use 64th notes as percussive bleeps within the melody. Sadly, the format involved (RTTTL) only handles up to 32nd notes, so what you do is stretch out your melody to halftime and compose the percussive bleeps as 32nd notes, THEN in the RTTTL code you double the tempo and voila! The composition plays at it's original tempo and the bleeps go back to being little 64th note deals.

So far, all my attempts have resulted in the note values remaining constant. If I half the tempo, the quarter notes are still quarter notes, just longer-lasting.

This is such a rare thing to do that I'm sure the answer will be to just start from scratch and compose the melody the way I need it. Apparently Cubase lets you do this much easier, as I've been talking to another guy who does these and he keeps telling me "just half the tempo!". I tell him what happens on my end and he doesn't get it.

Enough of my yakkin'. Anyone got any input?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-28-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Re: is it possible to double all note values?

Couldn't you just run a quantization set to 32nd note intervals?
www.cd-romney.com
www.ncarts.edu/ncsaprod/designandproduction
Old 08-28-2003, 03:17 PM

You might also be able to do this with MIDIPipe.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16154
www.cd-romney.com
www.ncarts.edu/ncsaprod/designandproduction
Old 08-29-2003, 11:35 PM

First, half the tempo, select every note of the song and then in slip mode, scale by 200% with midi duration.

If I understand you corrently, the composition will be twice as long but all your durations will be twice as long too.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:48 AM

Unfortunately, it looks like this just isn't possible, hopefully digi will add the feature soon.

Scaling note lengths doesn't work, it just makes them longer without moving the start times.