Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-1999, 04:57 PM

Default g3 bootup

hi, running protools 24 plus with a blue and white g3. every dozen or so startups it would hang after the digi init appeared. was told that this was part of the deal with the b/whites. found this acceptable but now its happenning every other time ? any suggestions ?
Old 11-01-1999, 06:56 PM

Default Re: g3 bootup

DON'T SETTLE FOR THAT B.S ANSWER.WHY DOES'NT IT HAPPEN WITH OTHER EXTENSIONS?DIGI NEEDS TO FIX THEIR CRAPPY DRIVER,IT'S ALWAYS THEIR WAY OF AVOIDING REPONSABILITY,BLAME THE PLUGIN,NOW IT'S THE COMPUTER.GIMME A BREAK
Old 11-01-1999, 11:27 PM

jaglance when you boot pro tools on a blue and white g3 the digi system init has to reprogram the pci bridge chip to allow for the high level of pci bandwidth that is needed. Every 10-15 restarts it hangs and has to be restarted. Gros says it's crappy drivers (mabye, mabye not) but this is what's technically going on behind the scenes.
Old 11-02-1999, 11:34 AM

Carlone is correct in his response in that the DSI has to reprogram the PCI bridge chip when booting and the system will occasionally freeze though I have a B&W G3/350 OS-8.6/256MG MIX/SCII+/2940 at my desk and I've honestly never experienced it.

Jaglance...since your system is now hanging every other boot I would first look to the most obvious:
-Try trashing the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE preference. These are located in your Mac’s System Folder/Preferences folder. Drag them to the Trash, empty the Trash, then restart the Mac. When you go back into Pro Tools, do so from the Pro Tools Application Icon and not by double clicking on a session. Once Pro Tools is launched, reconfigure the hardware settings.
-Extension conflict. Confirm that you have the base set of extensions loaded. In Extensions Manager, choose the "Mac OS 8.x Base" set, add the DigiSystem INIT, as well as other extensions (like "Open Music System") if required, then Restart the Mac.
-Reseat your PCI cards and cables.
-Custom install a new DSI from the Pro Tools CDROM. View the Pro Tools CDROM as list and drag a new DSI over from the system items folder to the OS drive/system/extension folder replacing the old DSI. Restart the CPU.
-If you've run Digitest always trash your DigiSetup and restart the CPU.
-OS Stuff...ZAP PRAM, rebiuld the desktop, perform a clean install of the OS, try launching from another boot drive or partition.

Let me know...

Brad
Old 11-02-1999, 02:53 PM

Jaglance and Leftwing are you guys using an expansion chassis?

I am and that is when this started happening.
Mabye Brad is not using 1 and we are which might explain why he's not having this problem.
Old 11-02-1999, 03:08 PM

Sorry Left Wing #66

When I say that my work system has never crashed or froze on the DSI.....I mean my system has never crashed or frozen on boot of the DSI...or what I really mean is that my system has never crashed or froze on the boot of the DSI. Granted I've only been working with it for @ three months.

There's no room for hiding the facts when it comes to trouble shooting and technical support for a DAW. I don't play that game and the ice gets a little slippery when you start making false accusations based on emotions.

Brad

How often is your system freezing on the DSI when the OS is booting?
Old 11-02-1999, 08:02 PM

<<How often is your system freezing on the DSI when the OS is booting?>>

Mine does it everytime I boot at the beginning of each day of recording, and has been doing it for months.

I have completed all of the above mentioned fixes several times, with no fix of the problem. I have just gotten used to booting my CPU twice at the beginning of each day!

9600/300, OS 8.1, Magma 7 slot chassis, 160 mb RAM, ProTools 4.3.2, (2) MIX Farms, (1) d24 Card, (3) "Vintage" Farms, and (1) SampleCell II TDM.

Dan Matthews
InSight Sound Recording
http://members.aol.com/InSights7

[This message has been edited by InSights7 (edited 11-02-99).]
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 11-02-1999, 08:14 PM

InSights7/Carlone/Jaglance/Left Wing #66

I'll look further into these issues when I get into work tomorrow morning...

Brad
Old 11-03-1999, 12:19 AM

I had a B&W G3 300 and now I have a B&W G3 400, and they both crash on the DIGI INIT. If it crashes, the next boot will work :P

I tried everything brad has listed here to no avail and I find it hard to believe that his machine never crashed on boot (sorry brad, I just feel this way)

So , I know it sucks but at least it works some of the time :P
Old 11-03-1999, 07:01 AM

Hey Brad,
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, all I'm saying is that it seems as if everyone has the same problem on all kinds of B&W setups..
and it is almost amazing that you can't reproduce this problem..
I'm running a PT 24 Core, NO expansion.