Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2001, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Apogee TRAK2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't heard it, but I think someone here said that they'd avoid a pre/converter combo (especially at that price) because converters will get cheaper/better, but a good pre will not. I think this makes a lot of sense. If they're really killer pres, then I guess it might be worth the money.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:13 AM

Default Apogee TRAK2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just can not seem to let the converter topics die!
Anyway, I was just doing a little reading into the apogee trak2, and was curious if any of you digi001 masters have tried it?
I mean to channels of apogee conversion, sounds good, but what about those pre's?

chad
Old 11-13-2001, 10:27 AM

Search the DUC for "trak2 - anyone?"

The pres seem to be really good.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:57 AM

yup yup yup ether get a converter or a pre
but no combo because ether the pre is good or the converter if its a combo i nerver used a goood combo and i use high end stuff at a buddys studio what i seen is you use a good pre then a good coverter like a rosetta if your low on $$$$
Old 11-13-2001, 01:40 PM

Hey!, did you just won the lootery or what???
it looks to me like you have the "gee, this one is better-feever" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , or as other calls it here and i quote-"you became a gear slutt" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] , no offense.
take it easy and think.
what exectly do you need? and what is your budget for getting it.
as for the 8ch apogee, if you can afford that then why dont you invest in a TDM system? why do use a digi001?
ahh and dont forget an akg c12 to go with it.
All in good spirit. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
BTW-if you are wondering, yeah it happend to me too, i'm over it (is that a new synth over there?) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Mook.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:27 PM

If he got TDM there would be no money left for the toys. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The AD-8000 does have s/pdif for your 001 hook-up, however, that is quite a chunk-O-change, and no DA either. I've heard that as long as you're going to take the plunge, you should really get the SE version instead - that's only $7,500!

Have Fun [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2001, 02:55 PM

Mook,
You should do a little more homework to
see what other converters are out there.
I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Lucid products. I ordered my AD 9624 yesterday. There web-site is www.lucidaudio.com. They have a 8-channel ada converter ADA88 you can get for 2,300 at this site. http://www.audiomidi.com/hardware/lucid/ada8824/.
There's also Swissonic, RME and others.
From what I read ( which is a lot in the last couple of weeks) lucid rates up there with Apogee for a good deal less.
Good luck!!! I'll let you all know how my ad-9624 is.
Quaz
Old 11-13-2001, 02:58 PM

No ofeense taken mook. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I thought the same thing. Why not get a TDM? The thing is, like bassmac said then ther is no money left for toys. Such as mic pres, and other quality equipment. As I see it, and I could be wrong. The difference between a TDM and the 001, is in the software(more tracks, more plug ins- better plug ins)
You still have to buy the interfaces, such as the 888. Which are inferior to the apogee.
I think that I can live with 24 tracks and those sorts of limitations, but conversion quality, and preamp quality is something that I feel will give you real pro quality recordings, and people can say thats just opinion, and what not, but why are more people using apogee coverters, and neve preamps, cuz that what works. I know that you have to have engineering skills, and a good room, but I feel like the quality of your signal chain has a huge effect on whats being recorded. That said, why spend money hear and there on cheap stuff that makes no difference in the quality of your recording?
I would rather put my money where it counts. GOOD PRE"S & GOOD CONVERTERS.
If I am way off base please someone correct me!

thanks
chad
Old 11-13-2001, 03:05 PM

Hi quaz!
oh i did my homework allright. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
maybe you ment that sugarfuzz should do his.
it was me that on another issue allso said that lucid looks like the right one(quality-budget wise).
Sugarfuzz your theory is correct, its just that here in israel its expensive (i mean expensivo). [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
anyway with all this Jibba-Jabba, i forgot the tune that i had in mind for my next track. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] oh well.
Mook.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:35 PM

If it's of any help, Bob CLearmountian uses the Trak2 a lot and says he loves it (yes he is a spokesman for apogee, but his stuff sounds great).