Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Default Avid's clear picture to customers? Where?

This team, which is already in place, combines proven business experience with deep industry expertise. Although there are likely to be some additional changes in the weeks and months ahead as we do some additional integration and realignment work, it?s important for you to know that your current sales and support contacts have not changed. As we move forward with any changes that might impact your day-to-day contacts within the company, we will share that information with you as soon as it is available.

In Closing...

We believe it is important that our customers and business partners have a clear picture of where Avid is headed in the future. We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you achieve great success in the world of digital media.

Sincerely,

Gary Greenfield
Chief Executive Officer
Avid Technology

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/61549/344922.aspx

yeah. right.

Where is that memo of the future plan? Are Pro Tools updates in there, somewhere? And has this guy ever attended a session?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Avid's clear picture to customers? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
This team, which is already in place, combines proven business experience with deep industry expertise. Although there are likely to be some additional changes in the weeks and months ahead as we do some additional integration and realignment work, it?s important for you to know that your current sales and support contacts have not changed. As we move forward with any changes that might impact your day-to-day contacts within the company, we will share that information with you as soon as it is available.

In Closing...

We believe it is important that our customers and business partners have a clear picture of where Avid is headed in the future. We appreciate your business and look forward to helping you achieve great success in the world of digital media.

Sincerely,

Gary Greenfield
Chief Executive Officer
Avid Technology

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/61549/344922.aspx

yeah. right.

Where is that memo of the future plan? Are Pro Tools updates in there, somewhere? And has this guy ever attended a session?
Sean,

That letter was posted Jul 30 2008
Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 AM

a lot of heads have rolled since then.

i demand a head count.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM

Let's just say that the M in Mr Greenfileds MBA does not stand for music. Acquiring a corporate entity and understanding its' product and understanding its' costumer base are two entirely different things. Traveling around and talking to a few industry pros for a month or two does not a Music or Entertainment Production expert make.

Here's hoping that some one like Peter Gabriel, who rescued SSL, is thinking of stepping up and saving this once great product from possible descent into oblivion.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Let's just say that the M in Mr Greenfileds MBA does not stand for music. Acquiring a corporate entity and understanding its' product and understanding its' costumer base are two entirely different things. Traveling around and talking to a few industry pros for a month or two does not a Music or Entertainment Production expert make.

Here's hoping that some one like Peter Gabriel, who rescued SSL, is thinking of stepping up and saving this once great product from possible descent into oblivion.
So let me get this clear.

Avid has owned Digidesign since the mid 90's. Avid was desperately tanking as a company due to the fact that they were insular, non-compatible etc. Now someone comes in and says that the best way forward is to open things up, be compatible with all industry standards, dramatically lower prices, open up ProTools to EuCon, etc. etc. etc.etc.

And all you can do is bitch and moan?

Seriously I question the caliber of people on the DUC these days.

I have met and talked with Mr. Greenfield at length and find him to be a brilliant and insightful person. Running large corporations in the middle of the worst economic environment in history involves a lot more than merely pandering to everyone's individual desires and wishes. All of us have things we want to see - BUT WHAT IS COMPLETELY CONCLUSIVE IS THAT IF AVID HAD GONE TO THE DOGS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, NONE OF US WOULD BE HERE TALKING ABOUT IT.

Software like ProTools does not grow on trees. It involves an enormous effort by a relatively few people who REALLY CARE about what everyone wants, but needless to say can't deliver everything DUE TO THE SHOCKING FACT THAT THEY NEED TO SHIP PRODUCTS TO MAKE MONEY....

If you would rather that they didn't, see how that philosophy goes. In 12 months there will be no more ProTools and no more stupid posts like this.

In closing, please refrain from defaming those you have never met, clearly have no respect for, go back to your studio and do some work.

Then get a head count from the economy as a whole and compare it as a percentage to the head count at Avid. You might find those numbers revealing.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:43 AM

Jeremy - I know it was almost 2 years ago. I feel like we're in the dark.

Jonathan - chill out! I'm sure it's dumb to ask questions now that we're on 'Avid's's Audio Forum' !! This isn't some [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] bitching and moaning - it's customers asking questions! You get those from time to time at your studio, right?

Jimi - I'd like a headcount, too.

Werner - you're hilarious.

Back to Jonathan - So... Swallowing up another company while they're supposedly so strapped they have to let go all the Americans (almost all) to outsource to Kiev and wherever else is good business sense/practice???

If these forum closed today, and Digi/Avid went under tomorrow, I'd still be cutting records 12+ months from now. With PT. I may be learning Logic by then, sure. But I'd be one of the 'old guard' the way some are still attached to their Studers (and there are a couple of those guys left here).

Don't be so dramatic. Even if you have met the current HNIC. Don't care how brillant you think he is - we're still looking at the doom that is the Avid machine buying up everything and NOT fixing/moving ahead with PT!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 PM

HNIC...?

Isn't that ban worthy? Wow, that's a little much. Do folks still talk like that?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM

Allow me to apogize for offending your feelings.

Should I edit that to say 'chief dude in charge of Avid' ??

Or howabout: Head Nincompoop In Charge??

Will that be ok?

How about the topic - you got any suggestions or anything to add? No? Just want to call me out on acronyms you assume must be bigoted?

Try hard not to catch feelings, champ.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM

HNIC???

Seriously? Come on.

...and yes - buying Euphonix makes perfect business sense. Every company has had to become more lean these days. They have NOT stopped moving forward with PT - don't even know where you get that. Look at the period of time between 7.2/3 and 7.4 as an example.. some things take time...

As for the Kiev reference - Avid is Tewksbury, MA and Audio is still Daly City, CA. M-Audio is Irwindale, CA, Euphonix is Mountain View, CA....

I fail to see the Eastern European connection.....

....and Avid Audio has been HIRING where it makes sense. Trust me. met some of them the other day.......

As to the "supposedly so strapped" - well they are a publicly traded company. You read the accounts. I'm a shareholder. And I own over a million dollars in PT/Avid gear.....

If they were going under any time soon I wouldn't. Simple.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM

It recetly became common knowledge that coding was being offshore'd to Kiev. I know that Avid is in MA and Digi is in CA. Thanks for the condescending geography lesson.

For real though. You just said that it makes sense for Avid to buy Euphonix - and that they've become leaner because of it. On first read (and paraphrasing here in this post) that doesn't make any sense.

I guess I shouldn't speak anymore as there's only 500k in Digi gear here; you got me trumped. (sarcasm totally intended; but thanks for playing).

Man - there's snide, then there's Jonathan, today!

In the past, I've never seen you so personally upset! It's almost like, I was talking sh*t about *your boy* from D/Avid! Calm down!

And I never said they were going under. Even IF they've lost 150mil per quarter for the last two years, I don't see them going under - but I do question big company ticket purchases and then off-shoring coding in the same few months.