Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2001, 11:53 PM

Default Best compressor on a budget

The two I am looking at now are the FMR RNC and the PreSonus ACP22. Forums and reviews seem to regard both very highly and favor them in comparison to units over $1000. I can't seem to decide from literature which one would be better. Whichever unit I get, its most used application will most likely be vocals, where acoustic guitar and clean guitars also secondary. I don't have enough imputs or mics to do drums, so that won't be much of an application.

I'm set up at home with ProTools but use it primarily to mix projects I've recorded at larger studios, so I'm no beginner to the world of high end compressors. Arguably my favorite vocal compressor is the 1176, so I'll use that as a reference. How do these other low budget compressors compare? Should I not even bother and opt to continue using only plugins like Rennaissance and Bombfactory for vocal compression?

I've been eying the Avalon 737 for a while but it's just too expensive right now. Any ideas or first-hand accounts?
Old 04-23-2001, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Best compressor on a budget

Hi Corey,

I haven't done too many A/Bs with this lot other than to say that I bought the FMR RNC because it was VERY good and very affordable. We have some classy Avalons at work but the RNC holds its own (to my ears)for the home studio stuff I do (and I do output commercial recordings).

Regards,

Haigbabe
Old 04-23-2001, 07:23 AM

i have to chime in on the acp22; its a great comp. good sound, meters too.

the gates are tricky- best suited for live sound, but the comps are awesome.

you could always just use rtas gates with the presonus.

i use it on vox a lot, as well as kick- snare, sax, guitar. it doesnt suck on anything, except maybe for banjo, which i have yet to try
Old 04-23-2001, 09:45 AM

The FMR costs $180 direct from the manufacturer. It is a stereo only unit, so only one set of controls for both L and R but it sounds really clean. Buy 3, mount them in a rack shelf (they have the tapped holes for it) and for $540 you can have 3 different compressors, either stereo or mono in one rack space. This is what many pro engineers have done.

Having said that, the ACP22 is a reall good sounding unit, at an affordable price. But the FMR is an unbeatable value per dollar.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:36 AM

Thank you all for all the help. One more thing though, I'd like to know which one of these units tends to sound better for most vocal applications cost aside?
Old 04-23-2001, 01:55 PM

thats right jeronimo, its either mono, or stereo, no dual mono. I have an RNC, it sounds great, but.....it has a blasted wallwart!!! and unbalanced I/O's, thats not such a big deal, but i REALLY dislike the wallwart. I only use the RNC on the input of a track, i do not route my signal in and out
after its recorded, except for verbs and delay ect...its a really nice unit for the price.

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 04-23-2001, 02:12 PM

Have a real good look at the dbx 1066. It is a great all round compressor.

Nick
Old 04-23-2001, 04:29 PM

Currently recording female vocals thru the Drawmer 1960 it's about half the price of an Avalon and quad the price of a RNC..
I like it. So does William Orbit apparently..

Irene
Old 04-24-2001, 12:29 AM

Humm, sorry about the newbie question I'll make now... but, when you say the FMR is a stereo only unit, it means that you cannot use two different signals into it?! For example a guitar and a snare at the same time with different settings...

------------------
Think Diferente!
Old 04-24-2001, 06:30 AM

i have a dbx its good for every thing. if your just gonna use it for vocals look into presonus vxp its a mic pre,comp,de-esser,eq and limiter . im about a week away from getting me one. 600$