Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 04:35 AM

Default Erratic crashing behaviour

Hi everyone. Sorry to make my first post a question- as a complete newbie to pro tools and mbox I don't currently have much more to offer! I know this is bad practice and I tried to avoid doing so by reading through previous posts for a long time yesterday for my problem, but to no avail...

I am running a G3 blue and white tower, 450Mhz, 512Mb RAM, Twin 8.5GB UW-SCSI2 HDs.
System Software is 10.2.8 (Jaguar), fresh install/update. Permissions verified/repaired.
Protools LE 6.2.1, amplitube software installed.

I would upgrade to Panther/Pro Tools 6.4 which seems a lot better but for some reason the Mac completely ignores the install disk when booting up. If anyone knows anything about this, I could just upgrade and probably bypass the problem on this slightly outdated setup. Anyway...

The problem: I'm getting random freezes which usually occur within the first 3-5 minutes of loading Pro Tools. The strange thing is that if I concurrently run another app's such as CPU monitor, these appear to continue to operate after the crash. The pulsing animation on buttons continues if a menu happens to be open at the time, and the system powers off the monitor after the usual time (which turns back on with a push on the power button on the tower). It isn't a complete screen/application freeze where all animation ceases, although I'm relatively new to OSX so perhaps this is normal. So, this may be an assumption but it seems like the system is running as normal but suddenly loses input from the keyboard and mouse, perhaps suggesting a problem with the USB. The end result is a restart, whereby the same will happen again.

I have tried the suggestions on the list, uninstalls, resinstalls etc. They don't work. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Erratic crashing behaviour

Just a quick update to say that I just found that the pretty lights screensaver running on the 'crashing' machine. This really indicates that the machine is not crashing, it just refuses to accept user input after a 'crash' has occured.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Erratic crashing behaviour

I've had a problem installing 10.3 on some B&W G3s, but then again, i've gotten some that run it fine.

Try doing a search at the apple site for a firmware update, as there are quite a few. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Try the Apple Discussions.