Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2003, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Very nice sounding piece, very professional. Roy sounds like George Harrison on the slide. Blew me away.

You guys are ready for a recording contract!
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:17 PM

Yes it's quite good. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2003, 12:03 AM

Greg, Michael, and Paul...it was a pleasure playing with you guys...good song, Greg and Paul, and a really nice mixing job, Greg... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
thanks, Roy
Old 06-25-2003, 04:43 AM

Okay I've got another one.

this is a testament against laziness. In the chorus I began to notice early on a slight loss of the groove. I kept thinking the next overdub would fix it and it never did, so I'll have the retrack the entire chorus to take care of it.

I also need to change the sound of the guitar solo which is entirely wrong for this song. I just don't like going direct for my stuff, it has a home studio slick "car commercial" sound to my ear. Any tips?

http://www.jasonwardenburg.com/duc/touched.mp3
Old 06-25-2003, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Brilliant.. how were the drums done? they are magnificent..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks everyone for the nice comments. A lot of people in this forum and elsewhere have been asking about how the drum track was done, so here it is in detail:

The basic drum patterns (there are three - one in the verse, one in the pre-chorus and one in the chorus) are all Acid loops - I think they're from the Drum Tools library. The verse beat was actually surgically constructed out of two similar loops so that it would fit rhythmically with the main guitar riff. All of that work was done in Pro-Tools. The only thing I use Acid for is to set the tempo of the loops. The guitar tracks, solos, vocals and keyboard tracks were laid down over the bare loops, along with a scratch bass track. Once the song was completed structurally, I started work on the drum fills. The bass part was written and recorded last so that it would fit rhythmically with the drum accents.

Crash cymbal splashes were added throughout the track wherever I thought a drummer might feel them. Sometimes I actually close my eyes and play "air drums" to the track and wherever I find myself hitting a crash cymbal, I insert a crash into the track. It works great, but it's embarrassing when my wife walks in.

I used two different crash cymbals on two different tracks and panned them about 45 degrees left and right so that when the two were hit consecutively they'd occupy different spaces and ring over each other.

There are a lot of fills. Some of the fills were imported from a library, others were made by chopping the original loops into individual kick and snare hits and replacing them into the track. Still others were done in Pro-Tools using individual samples of three pretty nice maple toms. Each of the three toms occupies its own track - the high is panned 45 degrees right, the medium is in the middle and the low tom is panned 45 left, approximating the placement of a real set. It was hard to get the levels and 'verb settings on the toms to match the looped sounds, so just had to get it as close as I could. I used a true-verb and some compression on the tom tracks.

It's time consuming. It took at least five or six hours total editing time over about three days to do all of that, but the more time you put in, the more it pays off.
Yosemite OS
Old 06-25-2003, 06:42 AM

Here's one.

http://www.mp3.com/the_outside
Old 06-25-2003, 07:17 AM

Clorox - really nice, man. Excellent mix. The drums sound great. Were they done on the 001?
Yosemite OS
Old 06-25-2003, 09:48 AM

soundsrfr -

Love the tune man...great sounds, and I really dig the tune itself...sweet bridge. I'd work with ya anytime, my friend.

Clorox - great stuff too. I dig the style you guys are developing, and the vocalist is super cool and unique. Best of luck, and let me know when your next NYC gig is...I'll come check ya out. Too bad I never caught that ad you put out for a guitar player!

Every time I visit this thread I'm reminded of just how much talent is out there...really amazing, intimidating, and inspiring.

keep rockin,
Old 06-25-2003, 10:17 AM

clorox- things fall apart - great song. The only thing I would change is lower the guitar in the verses, its a little overpowering.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:42 PM

Soundsurfr,
Good mix ! It was really cool doing this with you all !

In the meantime, you guys can expect a new Memphis/Philadelphia/Brussels (Lord Howell/FunkyD/myself) transatlantic collaboration effort real soon. Stay tuned ! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]