Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Alright guys,
Here is my first session with Pro Tools. There is a long story behind it, I will get into that later. I am a guitar player by trade so the drums were tough. Bastiaan had a lot of good pointers, as well as a lot of other guys here. Thanks. This is not the FULL ON FINAL VERSION. I may tweek with the snare a bit more, but all and all, I really like it. Please let me know what ya think. It is my first time on the recording/engineering side done in my basement studio. Thanks! If ya have problems getting it let me know too. Thanks again for all who helped with ideas and tactics... This is only the beginning!

Here is the link:
http://members.cox.net/andrewsintel/SoAstride.mp3

So far so good!

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 05-29-2003, 07:33 PM

What's up, doc?

I like 'so astride', you have a very distinctive voice. The guitar playings good, and the whole song has a nice feel to it. I don't know if they're midi drums or real ones, but I can't tell the difference, so there you go.

Only thing I'd change is the 'woohoo', I know what you're going for, but it's kinda in the way, maybe put it off to the far side from the singer, it's a bit distracting now. near the end there, it's more of a good fit.

Good start, keep going!
-Olaf
Old 05-29-2003, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the comment on the vocals, however, it is not me at all. You would NOT want to hear me sing at all! I just did the engineering/recording for the song. Guess I phrased it wrong. The song was performed by a friend name Dave Kauffman, who is a chiropractor in the Washington D.C. area, he also plays in a band called "Land of Malls." He does have a pretty cool tone though. Not really a singer either. He wated to do these songs to show to the band. I am recording this for free seeing it is my first time.

The song was written for Astride Kircherr originator of the mop top haircut for the Beatles. Dave wrote the song to give to her. He has a friend of a friend thing. It was written about Stuart Sutcliffe. Kinda a cool jingle. That is where the WOO HOO's come from. I think that I will pan them even harder and lower them some. I think that he actually wants that now that I remember. But this was my first time RECORDING somebody. The drums are REAL and recording in a 15 x 22 basement room with little to no sound dampening. To me, the drums are the weak part, but they like it. The drummer chose to bring over his bad set versus the Yamaha Studio set. Their loss I guess. The heads were pretty dead. I used close miking with SM-57's. 5 total. and then 2 oktava MK-012's for overheads, then the D112 for the kick. Had fun with it. First timer ya know! Had to play....

Thanks though...

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 05-31-2003, 02:16 PM

ok, kiddies... its been a while, but i got a new one. its 90% there, but with my track record, it may never reach 99%, so i'm throwing it up before it gets stale...

http://basstardz.dhs.org/scratch/da_...--Say_What.mp3

its sort of all over the place. i think its the kind of song you'll either love or hate. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2003, 02:31 PM

db, could you give a detailed tutorial sometime on how you get those drum beats and what gear you used? Is that all soundfonts and loops?
Is the info on how you did it on your site?

This is my next skill I want to develop.

thanks.

bp
Old 05-31-2003, 03:03 PM

its 90% reason. most of the loops i used came right from the reason soundbanks. the others came from friends and the internet.

the trumpet, the rhodes piano, the african drum and some miscellaneous drums all were reason. the "real" drum kit and "real" drum loops i made myself with PT. the midi drum kit is played through the reason nnxt. you can get a copy here:http://basstardz.dhs.org/SF2.HTM (download the soundfont and import it to nnxt). the guitar was my crappy ibanez through my pod, and the bass is my most excellent MTD 535 run through my Tech-21 RBI.

as for learning how to do this stuff, its really easy because reason is really easy.

for the loops, i insert a Dr.Rex loop player, choose the loop, select the sequencer track for that loop player, then hit the "to track" button on the loop player. that sends the loop to the track as midi data, which triggers off the loop. then delete what you don't want. there's something really cool built into reason. if you highlight a loop on a sequencer track then right click over it, it will bring up a menu. there's this thing called "alter notes". it will randomly swap around the notes and it messes things up - usually in a good way. experiment with it...

for instruments, i set up a midi track in PT, and set the output to channel X, which is represented in reason in the reason hardware interface at the top of the reason rack. then just record and tweak to effect.

one BIG word of advice - get a mixer to monitor with and your life will be so much easier...

that is all... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 01:40 PM

So, it's Harley's anniversary? Well, sheesh... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

'Chopper Opera (Burn)'
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/mp3/K._Burn

RH music:
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/
Old 06-01-2003, 02:00 PM

You're right Da BassTard - It's the kind of song you either love or you hate.

I loved it.

(Sounds like you've been listening to Zappa lately.)
Yosemite OS
Old 06-01-2003, 02:24 PM

DaB... I loved it too. Check your email for all the superlatives I could think of... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] A very cool piece indeed... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 07:10 PM

Across the continent's could be heard , the sound of Pro Tool's being switched off in realization the expertese and talent of others is so incredebly high [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]