Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Default Client file transfer options?

Hi folks!

I'm not really sure where to post this, so I thought the General Discussion forum would be best. If not, please move it to another appropriate location! :)

I was wondering, how do you send files to clients? I've been using yousendit.com for a few years now. Even going to the point of purchasing a yearly account.

But I've been noticing other sites such as filefactory.com and fileserve.com offering up to 5G file transfers and 2000Gig online storage.

Any thoughts on these new file transfer sites? Which do you use?

thanks for your help and opinon!

cheers,
rich
Old 07-04-2011, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Client file transfer options?

I haven't used it, but this looks promising.
http://www.gobbler.com/

Only good for Mac right now but PC support is coming. To register for PC support go here;
https://www.gobbler.com/features

Scroll down to "PC is coming! Join the waiting list!"

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM

Akamai is the world's leader in 'speeding' up transfers. But is used primarily for websites like this DUC. Started very early on, but man, have they grown. So many use their service to speed up delivery of web content.

I've been taught, used, heard, for years never EVER compress audio files for recording transfer, sessions... at least Opcode had this written in their last paper manual... before PDFs became all the rage. Mastering engineer endorsement... well he's getting what AIFF stereo or WAVE stereo? Not a Pro Tools session. Be interested to see what AVID has to say, about transferring complete sessions.

Not getting digital tape? NO Gold Master to check for bit errors? Not correct them as is typical in the business prior to mastering and duping?

Otherwise if it lives up to expectations, and you guys/gals test it first.

Another problem, or at least I think it could be, is scanning audio files... nearly all services are scanning audio files, movies: Quicktime, .AVI etc, this has me worried. Is there some type of 'matching' going on? Years ago I had read about algorithms that could name that tune --- fingerprinting -- but what if they aren't completely accurate? Is it deleted if not an ACC protected file connected with your iTunes acccount code? I mean I've read fine print for some services, guess you all have too, and see this word deletion used. Frightening thought.

I think it was written for ASCAP and BMI to double check accounting from ClearChannel so ASCAP/BMI wouldn't get 'short changed'. Anything longer than 6 seconds... do we think fingerprinting might trigger a false positive, such as use of an illegal sample? New releases of Box Sets I mean. What if the artist agrees to allow the use of the sample? Owns the publishing. RIAA has nothing to do with it. But will ASCAP and BMI still 86 it (an IRS term used here in the states).

Just thinking out loud.

Is this based on a performance copyright or does it attempt match authorship for publishing issues... illegal sampling issues? Then a box set compilation might trigger a false positive?

I agree Apple lossless sounds good. CDs have a huge amount of errors, this is why so many still use digital tape. But there is a difference between a mastering engineer and a Pro Tools HD studio in LA transmitting a session to London?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Might not be a bad idea to get a second computer to transfer those files too.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
Akamai is the world's leader in 'speeding' up transfers. But is used primarily for websites like this DUC. Started very early on, but man, have they grown. So many use their service to speed up delivery of web content.

I've been taught, used, heard, for years never EVER compress audio files for recording transfer, sessions... at least Opcode had this written in their last paper manual... before PDFs became all the rage. Mastering engineer endorsement... well he's getting what AIFF stereo or WAVE stereo? Not a Pro Tools session. Be interested to see what AVID has to say, about transferring complete sessions.

Not getting digital tape? NO Gold Master to check for bit errors? Not correct them as is typical in the business prior to mastering and duping?

Otherwise if it lives up to expectations, and you guys/gals test it first.

Another problem, or at least I think it could be, is scanning audio files... nearly all services are scanning audio files, movies: Quicktime, .AVI etc, this has me worried. Is there some type of 'matching' going on? Years ago I had read about algorithms that could name that tune --- fingerprinting -- but what if they aren't completely accurate? Is it deleted if not an ACC protected file connected with your iTunes acccount code? I mean I've read fine print for some services, guess you all have too, and see this word deletion used. Frightening thought.

I think it was written for ASCAP and BMI to double check accounting from ClearChannel so ASCAP/BMI wouldn't get 'short changed'. Anything longer than 6 seconds... do we think fingerprinting might trigger a false positive, such as use of an illegal sample? New releases of Box Sets I mean. What if the artist agrees to allow the use of the sample? Owns the publishing. RIAA has nothing to do with it. But will ASCAP and BMI still 86 it (an IRS term used here in the states).

Just thinking out loud.

Is this based on a performance copyright or does it attempt match authorship for publishing issues... illegal sampling issues? Then a box set compilation might trigger a false positive?

I agree Apple lossless sounds good. CDs have a huge amount of errors, this is why so many still use digital tape. But there is a difference between a mastering engineer and a Pro Tools HD studio in LA transmitting a session to London?
21st: Are you serious? The question was "what service do you use to send audio files/PT sessions."

I can't even decypher what it is you're on (and on and on) about.

The old adage: "ask someone what time it is, and they will tell you how to build a watch" comes to mind.

YouSendIt works perfectly, and while I have no experience with it, it seems that Filefactory would too.
I guess it all depends on the yearly fee, and the need for 5GB vs. 2GB folder limits.

It's absolute Poppycock about "never compress audio files, blah blah blah."
When I send a complete PT session, zipped, via YouSendIt, when it's unpacked at the other end it's exactly the way it was before zipping and sending.

I send/receive PT sessions to/from a partner in LA via YouSendIt all the time, with no issues whatsoever, as long as they're 2GB or under. If they're over 2GB, I split up the audio files and send half of them as a separate folder. No issues whatsoever.
This isn't based on what someone said, or something I heard, it's based on real world use and experience.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM

ej,

Try filemail.com too.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 PM

You are archiving files. That is what ZIPPED means.

One word: DiskDoubler.

Any IT Admin who is not paranoid is a complete moron.

You edit your post and I'll edit my post. No representative of this new service is going to post in an inflammatory thread. I myself am interested if the meta-data in the bwave and 64 bit bwave files, session integrity is a proven commodity, and it is secure, no open NIC cards in promiscuous mode archiving the openweb FTP download to upload to Peer to Peer networks.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Thanks for your help everyone!!

aka21: not really sure what you're saying Not really interested in IT or bwave meta-data in the thread. But thanks for your answer anyway :)

Looks like I'll keep trying filefactory.com since it has a 2000Gig storage capacity.

cheers,
rich
Old 07-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolmat View Post
aka21: not really sure what you're saying
welcome to the club
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM

bwave meta-data is legal in California with a Doctor's prescription.

Darryl