Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2022, 03:11 PM

Default Re: ProTools Studio 22.5, Apollo x8 and Monterey 12.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emj_antonin View Post
The UA support answered me and asked for a video of me recording and playing back a track, the system profile, and the system report. I will update you if anything changes.
As I told you, apparently no other app is using the Apollo. If it was so, why Ableton Live is not affected and recorded everything perfectly, playing it back at the correct speed?
That comment was not to you, what I was pointing out is what was being suggested by somebody else seemed a bit confused, but what they seemed to be getting at had already been covered (the opposite of suggesting to you to do this again).

Why might different apps behave differently?: It's potentially the wild West if different apps start setting sample rates, there is no guaranteed way apps will handle that, you hope they would... some will request notification from CoreAudio on changes to sample rates and pop up alerts, some might change their own rates, some will try to change the rate to what they want different, some will give up, some might behave very badly.

I heard well what you said, and believe you've done great troubleshooting.... and had already excluded simple mistakes like accidentally being in varispeed playback. But just one thought reading over stuff, when you played back the audio file recorded by Pro Tools in other DAWs you actually copied the raw file out of the workspace/clip list/session media folder into the other DAW? I expect you did, but just want to make sure you did that and did not do an audio export through Pro Tools.

And working out what exactly the speed up ratio is can sometimes give clues. e.g. is the ratio 96/48 or 96/44.1 etc.

In the end either the interface has to be running at a lower clock rate than it should be while recording, or a higher sample rate when playing back, or Pro Tools has the wrong sample rate (maybe a corrupt session etc.) but hard to see how it changes in the session from record to playback. And your tests playing back the audio in other DAWs should exclude it just being a playback varispeed finger issue or similar. If the sample rate was too low when recording something has to kick the interface into a higher sample rate so it plays back apparently faster. Maybe it's possible the other DAWs you are testing with at times set the interface to the correct sample rate and that helps show the problem. No I don't expect that's a good explanation.

Great that UAD support is involved, please let us know what they find. Could possibly be well be a driver bug or hardware bug (because different software talks to the driver/CoreAudio HAL in different ways, including that Apple keeps changing stuff there), or a Apple CoreAudio problem or a Pro Tools bug (but you might expect more users to see it if so). With a newish port of UAD driver to Apple Silicon maybe that's a more likely place to suspect, but there are lots of UAD users out there on new Macs...
Old 06-25-2022, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Studio 22.5, Apollo x8 and Monterey 12.4

How are you engaging record? I had a friend whose shift key stuck and when he pressed command spacebar hilarity ensued.