Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Auto-Tune in Graphical Mode at 96k

Is there some way to get auto-tune to pick up more of the wave form when tracking a line? It is only picking up about 60-70% of the notes.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Auto-Tune in Graphical Mode at 96k

It just requires tons of experimenting with your tracking setting. One point can make a big difference. You can also change the input type. The "Instrument" setting will pick up the most notes, but can also include a lot of spurious junk.

Sometimes, if the program material you're tuning isn't tracked at a high level, Autotune won't pick out all the notes. Insert a couple db of gain before and the same reduction after the plugin, being careful not to distort.

Hope this helps. Just remember that there is absolutely nothing auto about Autotune.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:40 AM

have you tried all the voice types? Alto, Soprano, Instrument, etc. Is there any grittyness in the voice?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:06 AM

Auto-Tune v4 doesn't seem to track nearly as well as earlier versions, & 96k only makes it worse, especially if there's any grit & edge to the voice. I've had the best luck with low-register material when referencing to Soprano, then switching back to Alto/Tenor for middle & upper ranges on the same singer. If A-T is putting out too many "mousey artifacts" & slowing the re-tune speed doesn't help, I'll grab specific notes or phrases with Wave Mechanic's Pitch Doctor in formant-preserving mode, & then touch up small pieces AT-T simply won't track with Digi's Pitch Shift.

Often it's better to globally nudge a word or phrase up or down with Pitch Shift, as opposed to a more detailed tuning treatment... listen for the "center of the note". Yeah, Auto-Tune is kinda miss-named, but very well marketed. All that said, I still wish they'd work to improve the tracking. Good luck.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 02-02-2005, 10:54 AM

try it as an RTAS plug. I have no idea why this works better than as TDM, but it does.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:04 PM

use the AudioSuite version and just write new tracks. works fine at 88.2k.

--
lance
Old 02-02-2005, 02:49 PM

do you guys run into the same thing in AT graphic mode?
since my recent switch to PT HD3 accel on OS X and the upgrade to AT 4 the pencil in graphic mode behaves just like the "draw-line-from-click-to-click"-tool. in 3 this wasn´t. you could really DRAW a curve. i really miss this a lot.
i´m talking about 44.1 khz here, didn´t have the time to try out higher resolutions yet.
....probably i should take the time and do final vocal pitching in melodyne.....
Old 02-02-2005, 06:41 PM

my autotune is not pickin up any graphic on the first try in graphic mode
I have to close it and reopen it to get it to register graphics
i'm working at 44.1
melodyne to the rescue
Francois
Old 02-02-2005, 07:23 PM

Definitely go RTAS with Graphical AutoTune at 96K. For some unknown reason, it just doesn't work as TDM. I've even found that it works better as RTAS on 44.1 and 48K sessions as well.

Cheers eh?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 PM

Yea and when you ask Anatres about the buggy TDM - AT version ...all they say nobody reported that problem!
Nothing like sticking your head in the sand when there is trouble. I am glad to see this is out in the open maybe Digi will put some muscle on them to fix it.