Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 PM

Default Star Trek - Into Darkness (OT)

Good evening everyone:

This is OT but if you have some time off this week, go see Star Trek Into Darkness, if you can in IMAX 3D.

It is excellent.

The sound is obviously overwhelming and impressive (thank you Skywalker Sound), and the music by Michael Giacchino is great, but in terms of emotion, the Grand Prize goes to the moment of the final scene and the closing credits, where you hear the original theme from the original TV series. I literally cried. Anyone else besides me watched the original series on TV? It was "Raumschiff Enterprise" back when I grew up as a kid, we watched it on the German channel, WDR 2 I believe, Saturday evening. Oh man oh man.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Star Trek - Into Darkness (OT)

I loved this movie as well (love the first one too).

As for sound, my local theater played it way too loud, but it still sounded like it will be a great soundtrack when I finally get to appreciate it on my home surround system when the blu ray comes out.

I also liked that they played the original theme music also.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM

Saw it in a theatre with dolby atmos - was my first atmos experience, truly mind blowing.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 PM

Yeah, I'm with you. When the original theme came on I may have shed a tear or two as well. For me the sound was a bit low where I saw it, but it was really good regardless.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:26 PM

I saw it in Atmos and liked the sound very much. Much more infect than the Iron Man 3 mix, which I saw just a week earlier in the same room, also in Atmos. The localization of the SFX was very good and the dynamic was amazing. Not to mention the uniqueness of the SFX themselves. Iron Man 3 in contrast sounded more like an up-mix to Atmos and was too much drowned in music for my taste.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Every bit of dialog had a distinct slap-echo on it, no matter what environment they were in. Maybe it was a creative choice, but it bugged me. The rest of the sound design was good though and I was lucky enough to see it in a theatre that didn't play it too loud!

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Just saw it IMAX 3D and I had to pull out the SPL meter on my phone. We were continuously hitting peaks of 107-108dB unweighted. WAY TOO LOUD! I sent an email to IMAX QC and they agreed. Even the previews were at this level, with peaks for FAST AND FURIOUS 6 hitting almost 110dB!!

Still... GREAT FILM!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar486 View Post
Every bit of dialog had a distinct slap-echo on it, no matter what environment they were in. Maybe it was a creative choice, but it bugged me. The rest of the sound design was good though and I was lucky enough to see it in a theatre that didn't play it too loud!
Are you sure it wasn't the theater creating that echo? A lot of big rooms have pronounced echoes just because of their size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Just saw it IMAX 3D and I had to pull out the SPL meter on my phone. We were continuously hitting peaks of 107-108dB unweighted. WAY TOO LOUD! I sent an email to IMAX QC and they agreed. Even the previews were at this level, with peaks for FAST AND FURIOUS 6 hitting almost 110dB!!

Still... GREAT FILM!
Who are you to judge if that's too loud? Did you mix the film? We don't really know what the filmmakers intended. Sorry, I found most of the film low where I saw it and would have appreciated a few peaks @107-108db!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Are you sure it wasn't the theater creating that echo? A lot of big rooms have pronounced echoes just because of their size.
Pretty certain it's in the film, if you watch again listen for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Who are you to judge if that's too loud? Did you mix the film? We don't really know what the filmmakers intended. Sorry, I found most of the film low where I saw it and would have appreciated a few peaks @107-108db!
It was really more like "out-of-balance" between LCR and surrounds. Dialogue was great, but when all the FX kicked in, everything shifted to surround and all sense of the screen disappeared. It could be just SURR was bumped up, that could certainly account for the extra SPL.

BTW, I did send off an email to the CQO at IMAX and he agreed it wasn't right... they have pre-set levels for all films based on what the producer/director wanted, and this didn't seem right to them.

Unfortunately it sounds like, whatever the prod/dir wants, the theater and its operators can still screw things up.