Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Default OS Crashes when opening protools

10.4.11 Quad core intel
Mbox2 pro

For some reason every once in a while when I open protools I will get the grey curtain of death. also known as a curnal panic. this happened 5 times in the last 3 months. I have repaired my disk permissions a few times. every time I do I get a lot of things dealing with fonts.???

also previously I had a problem with the M box not playing audio. I had to unplug the firewire and then plug it ack once the light started blinking. that usually fixed it until i shut down or restarted. I haven't had that problem in a while but I thought it might be related.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Avid

Default Re: OS Crashes when opening protools

This could be caused by any number of things - any software or hardware on your computer could be a factor. Bad RAM sticks, loose cable connections, software incompatibilities, corruption, etc.

Can you post more complete system info - Pro Tools version, attached peripherals, which of the General Troubleshooting steps you've tried, etc.

You may want to consider a clean OS and Pro Tools install, to reduce the possibility of OS corruption being a factor.

You could also post a crash log - it may have some info about what caused the kernel panic.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Default Re: OS Crashes when opening protools

Ok i have version 7.3.1

firmware version 2006-06-23 04:33:45 -0400

I was copying files to the same drive or up loading files to an FTP site. when i opened protools the system would crash in the initial start up,( The screen with the PT logo and loading plugins)not when it was opening the session itself.

I am running a Quad core Intel with 2x 500 GB of hard drives and 4 GB of RAM.

Could the fact that the M box was giving me play back issues before have anything to do with this. the odd thing is it did it yesterday and i wasn't even opening a session, i was just copying a lot of file to be burned and loading files on to an FTP site